In a first, an American woman used a suicide pod to take her own life. The process took place in Switzerland. It’s done by pumping in only nitrogen gas, so the person will lose goes dizzy, loses consciousness and eventually dies. Enter futurama memes.

• unexposedhazard
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    10 hours ago

Its such a difficult topic to write about. You shouldnt glorify it but you also have to respect peoples wish to die. Putting that sort of sincerity into text is hard imo, but the article did a good job at it. Weird that they arrested the photographer tho :/

I cant imagine a much more peaceful way to go under her conditions.

• Chee_Koala@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 hours ago

I found it became a lot easier after my dad took almost three days to ‘die’ after he could no longer really live with his lung, throat and shoulder cancer. I get that dieing sucks ass, but if the alternative is dieing really really slowly, assisted death is really beautiful. Too bad our doctor had moral objections, which is fair for them, but it wasn’t to us. We did not have this nitrogen capsule, we just had to wait it out and let our loved one gurgle themselves to death.

• Monument@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 hours ago

My grandmother chose to spend the last of her time “at home, with dignity.”

We (mom and siblings) lived with her, and got to experience the whole thing. I will spare you the details, but it was not dignified.

I will never put another person through that in my life. Not even hospital staff. If I ever receive a terminal diagnosis, I’m immediately going to begin planning my exit - likely in a similar fashion as above.