Fans customized the Wicked movie poster to more closely match the original Broadway poster.

Original Broadway Poster:

Movie poster:

Some fans, disappointed by the poster, altered it to be closer to the original, moving Grande’s hand and lowering the brim of Erivo’s hat to cover her eyes. The edits prompted Erivo to respond. “This is the wildest, most offensive thing I have seen

“None of this is funny. None of it is cute. It degrades me. It degrades us,” Erivo continued. “The original poster is an ILLUSTRATION. I am a real life human being, who chose to look right down the barrel of the camera to you, the viewer… because, without words we communicate with our eyes.”

So, this seems like a completely reasonable reaction to fans making fan content.

• vrighter
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 hours ago

so if there was a smile, why did the edited poster have to have one edited in? She is not smiling in that photo. You can zoom in and point to any slight asymmetry you want. Fact of the matter is, if you ask anyone who’s not you, they’ll say she is dead serious

• Varyk@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      3 hours ago

“so if there was a smile”

there is, as seen above and demonstrated in further detail below.

“why did the edited poster have to have one edited in?”

it appears they wanted a wider, more obvious smile and obviously wanted a different lip color.

maybe she likes big smiles.

and a different sky color for unknowable reasons.

“She is not smiling in that photo.”

Yes, she is.

here is cynthia not smiling, a resting face:

and here is Cynthia smirking with one corner of her mouth, a very obvious homage to the tilted animated smirk:

maybe you don’t see a lot of smiles regularly?

you seem unfamiliar with their properties.