I feel like this is a question that might have been asked around and maybe there are guides around, but that’s a discussion that I’d like to have with the lot of you.

The context

Using Linux on both my work laptop and the Steam Deck has made me quite interested in a full switch to Linux - my other computer is a gaming desktop, which I use a lot for many things, but mostly for gaming. Getting used to Linux has made me quite more intolerant to all the BS Microsoft is pushing than I used to be, the latest one being forcing the users to switch from the older email client to the new Outlook, which has a big, nice ad banner that looks like an unread email. So I’ve began wondering: after all, why not? Why shouldn’t I embrace the penguin? Well, the answer is that I should not if there are too many hinders and drawbacks in using Linux, which would make me need a dual boot instead of a single OS install.

We all know gaming has long been one of the main limiting factors in switching, but the Deck has changed the whole landscape on that front. We’ve basically switched from “Windows is the only OS suitable for gaming” to “Linux is also viable”, and the Deck has been made that available to the general audience. Therefore, nowadays, how viable is Linux for a gaming computer? What are the limitations users will encounter? Would I be able to play all the games from my Steam, Epic and GOG library with a bit of tinkering, including the new releases?

The drawbacks of using Linux (or those that I can think of)

1. Other gaming launchers support on Linux suck: GOG and Epic will work through Heroic Games but Activision/Blizzard, Ubisoft, EA and Rockstar games will all be a pain, or even not work at all. Is is true? Is there any way around that?
  2. No Microsoft GamePass. Or none that actually matters, as the only solution is to pay for the higher tier and stream the games - so no game actually runs on the desktop. No, thanks.
  3. Some DRM will prevent games from working, and this is especially true for games with heavy online content.
  4. NVIDIA support for Linux is far from being on-par with that on Windows, especially the open-source drivers. Is this still true?
  5. Many devices, especially those for gaming, might not have good (or even working) compatibility drivers for Linux. I know my UWQHD monitor works flawlessly on Windows, but requires quite a bit of tinkering on Ubuntu
  6. Newer games might not be optimized for Linux in the first place
  7. Tinkering is inevitable (as with any Linux computer, really)

What can we add?

The advantages (I can think of)

1. It’s free
  2. It’s ad free
  3. Customization on Linux is awesome, and I might end up spending more time ricing, breaking it all and reinstalling than gaming (see also, previous section’s 7.)
  4. I will no longer be sending data to Microsoft

What else am I not thinking about?

What distro?

And finally, let’s say I make the switch. What Linux distro should I use? I’ve read a bit about Drauger, Ubuntu GamePack, or even Pop! OS with some manual setup. What do you guys think, and advise?

• SomeLemmyUser
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago
    1. Whether Linux is supported has nothing to with Linux. Riot decides if they port or not
    2. You think the same about cs:go and dota? Surely you are not some hypocrit fanboy who loves games just because the were made by his favcapitalists corporation
    • poVoq@slrpnk.netM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Who said anything about supported? I merely stated the fact that it might be good for gambling addicts to not be able to easily play these on Linux.

And yes, no big difference with cs:go and dota indeed. The general problem is F2P games that prey on so called “whales” to finance themselves.

• SomeLemmyUser
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

So you don’t think your answer is polemical?

You just stating facts for a rational debate?

• poVoq@slrpnk.netM
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Yes, I want to draw attention to the exploitative means these companies are using to make a shit ton of money, and Riot is one of the worst offenders. They are basically the Marlboro of the games industry.

• SomeLemmyUser
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            10 months ago

sry, but if you think this is a rational discussion, i am not willing to have one with you as we have widley diffrent expectations on discussion culture.

But yes, catching whales and gambling mec hanics are obviously bad.