• BlazeOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I’ll start: The Stars Wars postlogy was such a disastrous cash grab that it doesn’t exist in my head cannon.

This whole thing was a mess.

• maegul@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

I think I’m still in kinda disbelief that that happened. Like, maybe don’t take me too seriously, but the true sign that the world is going to shit was right there with The Force Awakens. When Star Wars devolved to a totally fluffed up cash grab that we all ate up, that was the sign that we’d lost the plot.

• maegul@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

I mean sure, in a “Hooker with a Penis” everyone has sold out kinda way.

• thecrotch@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Jedi and Empire were written specifically around driving toy sales. And the reason we waited for 20 years for the prequels was because Lucas wanted the toy contracts to run out so he could get a bigger slice. Story took a back seat to merchandise from the very beginning. The man practically invented selling out.

• UlyssesT [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

What if the Jedi returned… and then were wiped out off-camera? And the Republic returns, and is blown up by a single big boom boom blast? galaxy-brain What if everything is reset because Abrams bashes other people’s toys together while making explosion sounds until they break? so-true

• BlazeOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Thanks ha ha

• niktemadur@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Thing is, they could have done it right, but they went straight to a hack who throws mystery boxes around, takes lazy shortcuts at every conceivable turn, and can be even mildly realistic with space, distances and their visuals, but refuses to be.
      And they let him not only direct, but also write the framework and story.