• BlazeOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I’ll start: The Stars Wars postlogy was such a disastrous cash grab that it doesn’t exist in my head cannon.

This whole thing was a mess.

• maegul@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

I think I’m still in kinda disbelief that that happened. Like, maybe don’t take me too seriously, but the true sign that the world is going to shit was right there with The Force Awakens. When Star Wars devolved to a totally fluffed up cash grab that we all ate up, that was the sign that we’d lost the plot.

• maegul@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

I mean sure, in a “Hooker with a Penis” everyone has sold out kinda way.

• thecrotch@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Jedi and Empire were written specifically around driving toy sales. And the reason we waited for 20 years for the prequels was because Lucas wanted the toy contracts to run out so he could get a bigger slice. Story took a back seat to merchandise from the very beginning. The man practically invented selling out.

• UlyssesT [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

What if the Jedi returned… and then were wiped out off-camera? And the Republic returns, and is blown up by a single big boom boom blast? galaxy-brain What if everything is reset because Abrams bashes other people’s toys together while making explosion sounds until they break? so-true

• BlazeOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Thanks ha ha

• niktemadur@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Thing is, they could have done it right, but they went straight to a hack who throws mystery boxes around, takes lazy shortcuts at every conceivable turn, and can be even mildly realistic with space, distances and their visuals, but refuses to be.
      And they let him not only direct, but also write the framework and story.

• AndreyAsimow@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Matrix: Resurrections

Totally unnecessary sequel to a not so great 3rd part of a great franchise.

I felt unsafe watching it the whole time.

• nieceandtows@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

I went in after not having watched any matrix movies in a very long time, and enjoyed it. I think people overprepared for the movie by watching all matrix movies back to back, and the movie ended up recapping the previous movies for 1/3rd of the runtime. It’s a true reboot for a new generation where you don’t need to have watched any of the previous movies. It’s enough if you just knew about them. That’s what I think.

• maegul@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

I went in not expecting anything good of it (I think I had an intuitive hunch about exactly where it was going to come from) and ended up really enjoying it. I wouldn’t really recommend it to anyone and don’t think it’s “good” … but as a long time Matrix fan I feel like I could get where the film was coming from, and while watching it in the cinema, that was a unique experience.

Also, the idea of the new matrix being based not on consent to a fantasy but constantly unmet but tantalising satisfaction … I felt that and it was a good extension to the trilogy IMO.

• kd637_mi@leminal.space
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

The Starship Troopers sequels. Which don’t exist, but if they did they would be awful enough to pretend they don’t.

• Hundun@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Every home alone past 2, every terminator past 2, the latest Matrix practically apologizes for its own existence. Examples are too numerous, the entire hyperreality we exist in is built on pointless repetition and self-cannibalization.

Our world is running out of resources to turn out profit, so it had started digesting itself and feeding us its over-processed and over-produced communion, like a sleezy street-food vendor dousing their meats in spices, so we don’t smell how spoiled their paska is.

That is why everything revolves around the nostalgia: it’s not us who are stuck in the past, it’s our culture experiencing rigor mortis, and we treat it as the final chance to see its original form, as if the chicken in our tavuk durum hasn’t been rotting since yesterweek.

• NickCudawn@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I know this is probably one of those ‘fun facts’ that everybody knows but learning that it wasn’t written or made as a sequel and the studio shoehorning that in after the fact to market it makes it a lot less atrocious. It’s still not a great movie but not as offensive as it would’ve been had it been made as a sequel from the beginning.

• CeleryFC@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Less of a sequel, but all the remakes of 80s/90s classic movies are awful and do nothing but bastardize the legacy of some incredible pieces of art. The Karate Kid, Total Recall, and Point Break top the list.

• WittyProfileName2 [she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Halloween.

Executives butchered what was gonna be an anthology series because they saw Michael Myers as a marketable villain. So now every film in the series has gotta be the same thing again and again with the same monster doing the same things, ad infinitum.

Now I come to think of it that’s, like, pretty much the entire mainstream of the horror genre isn’t it?

• SnowdenHeroOfOurTime@unilem.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

that’s, like, pretty much the entire mainstream of the horror genre isn’t it?

Yep which is exactly why I’m not into most horror movies. It feels like there are about 5 horror movies that have all been remade 10,000 times each.

• Muddobbers@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Fun to watch once, but definitely not a “rewatch every Christmas” kind of fun movie. So much bad crap just happens over and over again and it just doesn’t feel like a happy story!

• Deftdrummer@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

I’m in the minority but I don’t even watch the original anymore. It’s dated even if people act like it isn’t.

Give me some bad Santa / Jim Carey’s Grinch any day of the week.

Bonus unpopular opinion: Mariah Carey’s “all I want for Christmas” is not a Christmas song. Not in the traditional sense. Not at all.

link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Hot take that might get some shit, but I’ll say it anyway:

The Matrix.

The first movie, if it was the only one, was such a sleek tight narrative with such a satisfying ending that left so much open to the imagination that arguably the movie would have more cultural impact today if it stopped there.

• P03 Locke@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

The Matrix Reloaded was full of action scenes that still haven’t been matched, and I liked the story, even if it was a bit bonkers at times.

The Matrix Revolutions was… disappointing. Big battle scenes had already been overdone at that point, the story was just getting stretched too thin, and dialogue was laughable at critical moments.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Reloaded had some great setpieces, and maybe “worst” didn’t really apply to the sequels as the thread requested, but I still feel the original could have stood on its own, maybe timelessly.