Democratic West Virginia senator calls the Inflation Reduction Act, hailed as ‘biggest step on climate crisis’, a ‘radical agenda’

• Hazzia
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Okay, I just recently moved to WV and I’m massively interested in that statement about most people supporting progressive policies, since I was ki da feeling like a fish out of water. Can you tell me more, or point to a source? I would be super relieved if WV were more resistant to the reactionary political BS that has been plaguing the GOP.

• givesomefucks@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Just look for a poll about what policies they support.

If you ask them for a label they’ll say conservative. But a poll that asks about specific policies will show they support progressive ones.

If I linked a single poll, people would say I cherry picked or keep sea Lioning me for more.

• evatronic@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

This is generally true of conservatives / GOP voters as a whole (though, of course, there are always exceptions).

When you ask them about policies without words or phrases they have been taught to react to, they almost always support … maybe not progressive ideas, but moderately liberal ones. When asked about healthcare, for instance, they react strongly against “Obamacare” and “ACA” and now, “individual mandate”. But explain what the ACA does, and how it works, and how insurance companies have to spend certain percentage of their revenue on healthcare instead of profits, and conservatives love it.

They don’t get upset until they hear words or phrases the media has told them to get upset about.

• some_guy@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I was ki da feeling like

Did you post this from an iPhone? I feel like there’s a bug in the dimensions of the touch target for the N key because I often end up with an errant space on that specific key. I’ve not filed a bug report because I’m not sure if it’s just me.