Microplastics Found In Human Hearts For First Time, Showing Impact Of Pollution::A study published in the journal Environmental Science and Technology for found microplastics in the hearts and blood of humans undergoing cardiac surgery.

• 👍Maximum Derek👍
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

One of the possible answers astrophysicists give for why we haven’t seen more evidence of intelligent life in the universe, is that there are technological milestones that lead to doomsday scenarios. They’re “great filters” that many advanced civilizations don’t survive. The classic example is nuclear fission and the power it gives to destroy. I’m convinced that plastic is one of these filters.

• Djennik@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

I’d figure those plastics wreak havoc in the long term in an individual life but won’t prevent people form reproducing and developing. It might be a serious setback but just a hurdle for humanity. Climate change, our nuclear arsenal, … pose more urgent threats.

• a_spooky_specter@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Pretty sure plastics save more.lives than they destroy. Modern medicine isn’t nearly as effective without them.

• WigglyTortoise
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Not necessarily the creation of plastic–I agree that it’s very beneficial–but the management of plastic. As we’re seeing now, plastic can be very destructive to life when it’s used and disposed of irresponsibly. The filter in this case is being able to use plastic for its good without letting its harmful aspects get out of control.

• meco03211@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I wouldn’t necessarily be convinced of that. I’d put that in a similar category as climate change. It might catastrophically ravage the world, but I think humans would survive. It’s not the same punctuated event as nuclear fission. If a crazy person got control of nukes early in, they could wreak havoc on the world. Initial blasts kill tons of people, radiation would likely not be fully understood and fallout changes the global landscape before humanity can realistically react. Contrast that with global warming and microplastics, we know (we as in humanity in the broader sense) these are issues. It might need to get to the catastrophic ravaging before enough people are convinced, but eventually it will happen. And the intervening time won’t cause humans to go extinct. Sure billions might die, but not all.