i don’t since i don’t read much and i am fine without the paper feeling mabye

• 👍Maximum Derek👍
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I have a kindle (paperwhite I think) that I won in a raffle and I’ve grown to love it. Much lighter than a book or a phone, no cramps from holding my hand in strange positions, and a very gentle backlight. The only thing I don’t like about it is being tethered to Amazon. When it dies I’ll try to find an alternative that’s still compatible with my library’s ebook system.

• Zombiepirate@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

You should look into Calibre, it’s library management software for e-readers, and it works wonderfully with a kindle.

You can convert between lots of different formats and load them to your reader from your PC or Mac.

I’ve loaded books from Google’s service and public domain stuff from Project Gutenberg and archive.org. I’ve loaded some PDFs on it which are kind of janky, but sometimes workable depending on the book.

But basically, I’m not worried about being able to read a book on my kindle unless it’s a PDF.

• 👍Maximum Derek👍
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

My main problem is that, if I let go online at all, it’s reporting everything I read and when back to Amazon. I don’t buy many kindle books.

• asteriskeverything@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

You don’t need to go online with calibre. you convert it to the file format you need and then connect Kindle to computer, drag and drop files.

• tjhart85@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

You can enable an email address for it and then can email EPUBs to it, so can use it without paying more to Amazon.