57k active users on Lemmy, Casual Conversation seems a pretty common topic, and still there aren’t that many people around here.

I posted on !newcommunities@lemmy.world , we are probably the most populous community with this name.

Maybe it’s because LemmyWorld communities do not appear on Lemmyverse.net any more?

What do you think could be the issue?

• BlazeOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

In my limited experience on Lemmy, communities let to themselves then to organically die rather than grow.

About interesting threads, casual conversation is usually driven by user submitted content rather than mod driven.

!chat@beehaw.org is an example of a successful one, and almost completely based on user submitted content

• maegul@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Without wanting to get into spicy flame-war territory … having a successful casual chat community sounds like the sort of thing beehaw would do better at than the rest of lemmy, in part, because community creation is closed, so arbitrary content naturally goes into the chat/lounge community, rather than into the very specific niche community it’s most aligned with despite no one being in there and no one ever seeing the post (exaggerated but you get my point).

• BlazeOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

It completely makes sense, I agree with you.

Hence my questioning about just redirecting there as there community is quite active already

• aelwero@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

I’m confused by your comment… threads left to users tend to die, but successful ones are successful because they’re left to users?

That’s how I’m reading it…

Are you just saying it’s random?

I’d highly prefer a community that’s successful and active because it just happened to sprout up on its own than have an active community that was nurtured and encouraged by modsto become that way. Which is to say I think I agree with you :)

• BlazeOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        10 months ago

threads left to users tend to die, but successful ones are successful because they’re left to users?

I said communities, not threads :)

Communities that no ones take care of (active posting, promotion, etc.) tend to die.

Threads created by users are a sign of growth.

I hope it’s more clear :)

• BlazeOP
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

it just happened to sprout up on its own

That’s very uncommon on Lemmy due to the hard discovery of content. If people don’t know a community exists, it’s hard for them to randomly stumble upon it