Just making sure I’m in the right place. I cannot see any developed communities here so I’ve started wondering, what’s the real place everyone from Reddit has moved to? I’ve heard something about Discuit, but never tried it.

• schnurrito
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I didn’t frequently post new threads on reddit either. The great thing about the structure of reddit and Lemmy (as opposed to that of e.g. Twitter/Mastodon) is you don’t really need to have your own ideas what to post, you can look at what others have posted and then react to that by adding your thoughts. But of course if everybody did only that, then there wouldn’t be anything to react to, and that may be kinda the problem right now.

• Haui
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Exactly. You hit the nail on the head imo. I didn’t even think about this particular mechanic until you mentioned it.

People are so used go „reaction content“ and „reacting“ passively that this place does not grow as fast as it probably could if people were more creative. Creativity is like a muscle. If you don’t train it, it’s really weak.

So, I think it’s very much a good idea to put some easily visible „suggestion“ somewhere that this place will improve as much as you make it by posting original content ie questions and ideas.

• imaqtpie@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Yeah I’m definitely much more of a commenter than a poster. In the early weeks I was really trying to post but I kinda ran out of steam.

But of course if everybody did only that, then there wouldn’t be anything to react to, and that may be kinda the problem right now.

You’re right, we have plenty of users with insightful viewpoints, but there is a dearth of posts and content for them to talk about. Also, let’s not forget that the sorting algorithm isn’t great right now and a lot of people aren’t seeing enough of the content that does exist.