Just making sure I’m in the right place. I cannot see any developed communities here so I’ve started wondering, what’s the real place everyone from Reddit has moved to? I’ve heard something about Discuit, but never tried it.

• LilDestructiveSheep@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Lots are here. I joined a while ago on a different server and the content was slow. But by now it’s like always fresh content.

I can tell you the traffic rose up.

• Papanca@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

A few months ago, there were quite some people urging everyone to actively post and comment, to make the communities more lively and engaging.

• chrisphero@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I always remind myself to do this… Interesting post but no comments? Just add the first comment and a conversation will start - for me at least, there was always somebody commenting.

• Papanca@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

I really try to make an effort to contribute. I sometimes still find it a bit uncomfortable - i remember the harsh ways people got called out/downvoted/got incredibly unkind replies on reddit-, but i try to do it anyway, if i feel i have something to contribute/something kind to say/have a question

• LilDestructiveSheep@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Got ya. You can’t make people always agree with you. Sometimes your opinion is just unpopular. But it is important to speak with each other in a proper manner. Maybe we learn from each other.

Never go the way of people pleasing. Be kind and you will receive it.

• can@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I do this all the time. Even if my comment isn’t substantial it lowers the barrier to entry for others.

• jopepa@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Same I still haven’t found an app that scratches the itch like baconreader did but a lot of these communities have finally found a strong footing

• theneverfox@pawb.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I decided to make my own, I’ve had to switch to paying things, but I’m going to get started back on Luna soon. If you’re willing to give me feedback and describe in great detail what you want, chances are it’ll get added into the next version

• jopepa@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Thanks, I’m sure there are other things I can’t quite articulate because you don’t know what you’ve got til it’s gone problem, but here’s two that stick out for me. I miss sorting by controversial it’s interesting to see where the polarizing conversations are happening. On an interface side, there was a way to swipe towards the top of the post to switch to the next post on whatever page was populating posts so for example I were on the front page and see posts 1, 2, and 3 if I opened post 2 all of the comments would populate underneath it if I scrolled down into the comments I could swipe right at varying degrees to upvote and downvote or swipe left to reply, report, etc but if I ever drag right to left from the head of the post it would shift over from post 2 to post 3 or left to right to shift over to post 1 it made it really easy to see larger pictures, post details, and if there’s much activity while still being able to navigate through the communities without losing my place because of refreshing or scrolling back up when I go back to the community page, homepage, etc. I hope that helps. Thanks for the effort let me know when your app goes online.

• theneverfox@pawb.social
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 months ago

So honestly I hate the comment swiping interface, I know what you’re talking about though. I’ll put it on the list for an option but it’s going to be low since I find it to be bad UX - to me, swiping should be to change something on your screen.

The swiping between posts sounds like a great idea though, that’ll almost definitely be in the next version

And sorting? Custom sorts and feeds are like my main design goal, that’ll definitely be in there

The other thing is saving your place - that was my biggest complaint personally. You can already click on anything to see more about it and go back without losing your place

You can even change accounts or sorting methods and go back to where you were - I’m playing with making that more intuitive though, I disabled it for the current version because it was awkward

I’ll save your post and ping you for the next big update

• ominouslemon@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

globally, traffic actually went down. Somebody posted some data a while ago and it was very clear. I would not worry about it (I think to a certain extent it’s physiological), by still

• Otter@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

This is probably where most of them ended up, a few communities here are the official replacements too.

The problem is that Reddit is MASSIVE compared to any of the alternatives. More people are moving over slowly, it just takes time. As for why you aren’t seeing much, maybe your feed is set to ‘local’?

You can also subscribe to communities you like. Try looking for topics here: https://lemmyverse.net/communities

• huginn@feddit.it
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Just browsing /c/everything top-6 hrs and then getting into arguments in the comments.

It’s like I never left.

• SecretSauce@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Well I don’t really consider myself a refugee so much anymore is the thing, it just feels like home here now

• NightAuthor@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I’ve been so chronically on Reddit the past 12 years, I’m sure it changed, but I can’t remember what it was like.

• vitriolix@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

I was using the old UI so it really felt like the old days. Fuck that noise now though.

• ciaocibai@lemmy.nz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

My Reddit account is significantly older than my kids - apparently I joined in June 2007. And they had to go fuck it up like what happened to Digg.

What I want to know is where all the Digg (or going back further to slashdot) refugees are.

• Haui
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Another ex redditor here. The issue seems to be that a lot of people created communities but never bothered to post something. Even my little ubuntu server community has nearly 90 subscribers by now.

We should work on more visible „you‘re here, what to do next“. Something like „go to communities tab, all, subscribe to each one you like“, missing any? Make them yourselves, but dont forget to post on them since very few people will subscribe to an empty community. 10-20 posts over a month should be a good start. Generally avoid bots since they dont boost interaction at all (my personal impression).

Or a reminder for people who have made communities but no posts. That would stress them a bit I suppose but I thought I‘d bring the idea to the table.

Anyway, have a good one. :)

• bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I think a lot of people don’t realize just how much content on Reddit was being posted by bots. Also, the culture here is a lot more accepting of posting and commenting days or weeks apart, more like an old-school forum. Whereas on Reddit I would have thought someone was weird if they were commenting on a post I made a week ago, here it’s not that weird. It means discussions can go on a bit longer.

• Haui
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I agree 100%. Commenting on an old post was different over there. But I think my original point still stands. Peeps who want this place to thrive need to make a post every now and then. :)

• schnurrito
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I didn’t frequently post new threads on reddit either. The great thing about the structure of reddit and Lemmy (as opposed to that of e.g. Twitter/Mastodon) is you don’t really need to have your own ideas what to post, you can look at what others have posted and then react to that by adding your thoughts. But of course if everybody did only that, then there wouldn’t be anything to react to, and that may be kinda the problem right now.

• Haui
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Exactly. You hit the nail on the head imo. I didn’t even think about this particular mechanic until you mentioned it.

People are so used go „reaction content“ and „reacting“ passively that this place does not grow as fast as it probably could if people were more creative. Creativity is like a muscle. If you don’t train it, it’s really weak.

So, I think it’s very much a good idea to put some easily visible „suggestion“ somewhere that this place will improve as much as you make it by posting original content ie questions and ideas.

• imaqtpie@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

Yeah I’m definitely much more of a commenter than a poster. In the early weeks I was really trying to post but I kinda ran out of steam.

But of course if everybody did only that, then there wouldn’t be anything to react to, and that may be kinda the problem right now.

You’re right, we have plenty of users with insightful viewpoints, but there is a dearth of posts and content for them to talk about. Also, let’s not forget that the sorting algorithm isn’t great right now and a lot of people aren’t seeing enough of the content that does exist.

• droans@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

A large issue is that what would be one subreddit is now a dozen different communities. What would fix this is allowing communities to “federate”.

Let’s say you had news@europe.site and europenews@lemmy.site.

The mods could have the option to consolidate with each other. Each would have to agree to the move and could revoke that access at any time. If one instance goes down, the other still retains their posts. Both of them would still exist on their own, but anything made on one would automatically be published on the other.

This could have multiple levels.

At the most basic, posts are just automatically brought over between each community. The mods can take action that only affects their local instance.

You can then add an option to federate with the other community and any community they federate with. Mods are presented with options to disallow some of those communities if they choose.

Each community can then set moderation levels and permissions. There could be an option to retain moderation on federated posts made on the other instance for their local posts. IE if europenews@lemmy.site removes a post made on europenews@lemmy.site, news@europe.site can choose to have it removed there.

You can also choose to grant full mod powers to other communities. So if europenews@lemmy.site removes any post, even one made on news@europe.site, it would automatically be removed from news@europe.site.

This would alleviate the fractures caused by multiple communities without losing the benefits of federation.

• Haui
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Thats a neat idea. Maybe make a feature request on github? This stuff needs to be brought to the devs attention.

• akakevbot@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

This is a really interesting idea. It would address one of the biggest hurdles I’ve had with full Lemmy adoption. I find a lot of the communities for many topics can be fractured with seemingly duplicative communities. It could also allow the larger user base to decrease the dependency on a particular instance.

• crazybuppie@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Lurking, just like I did on reddit. Lemmy is amazing and scratches most of the same itch reddit did for me, but I just read, vote, and move on.

• RBG
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Yeah, it was a bit weird at the start with all those emtpy communities and you didn’t quite know if any are taking off.

Now a few months later you can stop going to those that still remain empty or are just reddit repost bot cementeries.

Not as much variety as reddit but also not sure how anyone could expect that within a few months.

I am just amazed how many people still put up with the official reddit app.

• alphacyberranger@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

If one thing the 2 years of covid taught me ,it’s that “people are lazy and stubborn”. We could have forced u/spez to go back but instead most people just decided “nah it’s fine, we’ll get used to it”. The same with working from office. Just why? The damn CEOs and the other fossils in upper management are stubborn to change.

• rufus
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

I’m here!! And there are ‘developed communities’… Lots of them. Keep looking and you’ll get how things work here.

• Grayox@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

The bar to interacting with lemmy is alot higher than reddit, it takes a while to figure out.

• rufus
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

That is true. Stay motivated. I think it’s worth it. I think Lemmy still needs to grow in some aspects. And some things need to change to make it better. Both technical and the user experience. I’m kind of optimistic, though.

• Broccoli@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

We have linux memes and abstract memes, we hate politicians and we hate climate change. But mostly we have memes.

• TexMexBazooka@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Present. Using this as I did reddit. It’s like browsing a lot of the smaller subreddits I enjoyed, but all the time.

Downsides are less content, and definite growing pains. I think there are some aspects of the platform severely limiting its growth at this time, and I’m not sure how it’s going to tackle them yet. But I’m along for the ride.

• bulwark@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I’m in the same boat. What do you think are the limiting factors? I’m starting to see that federation is a double edge sword. It’s like every week a dozen new instances pop-up that have nefarious motives that need to be defederated with.

• TexMexBazooka@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Federation is a challenge in its own right, yeah. My particular pet peeve has been repost bots that flood feeds with 1000s of posts with no comments.

• Pringles@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I just block them, and also instances like lemmygrad and hexbear. Probably won’t work when you use a web browser, but I exclusively browse with the sync client.

• TexMexBazooka@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            9 months ago

Yeah I block bots and communities like hexbear, it’s just unfortunate that I feel like that’s become a prerequisite to Lemmy being enjoyable and that puts off new people

• heird@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Lemmy is kinda nice but still kinda quiet, also as a 30 something I feel that the crowd here is quite young and immature which isn’t that great

• cyberpunk007@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Really? This surprises me. Reddit was a circlejerk of who had the best joke to race to the top of the comments section, not seeing that here.

• Hazzia
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

Really?? I’m mostly seeing techies who give off pretty mature vibes, but maybe it’s because the only “big” community I’m subscribed to is AskLemmy.

• ryan@the.coolest.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

That feeling’s just gonna intensify over time, friend. The people who have time to post on the Internet are overwhelmingly 1) literal children and 2) college aged adults. It’s not just here, it’s the whole dang web.

• flathead@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

You mean the ancient old farts who invented the internet? Yep. Couldn’t even use a mouse. No wonder the world wide web is so enshittified. Idiots.

• Wisely@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

This is surprising to me, I actually experienced the opposite. Reddit had a lot of teens but Lemmy seems to have older posters who are more thoughtful about what they post. In my 30’s myself and wasn’t able to get anyone younger than 34 to join.

It could just be the communities you subscribed to?

• heird@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I mostly browse “Top X hours” which is All the communities and it’s filled with terrible memes and “funny” things I’ve blocked of few of these meme communities but overall it feels pretty low quality content aside from news but still there there’s lots of duplicates due to the various similar commuties on Lemmy

• NightAuthor@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Ur immature!

I see some older techies on Mastodon, maybe give that a shot? Different format, I know. Also takes a tad bit of work to find people to follow, but you get there. Just follow a couple of hashtags related to your interests.

• Sterile_Technique@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I’d rather not browse Reddit if it means having to use the official dumpster-fire of an app… since that’s the only option now, I just deleted my account.

Lemmy definitely scratches the itches I used to rely on Reddit for - I’ve had zero urge to relapse.

• RBG
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I made myself a custom infinity app apk with a personal api key. But I swore once that stops working I will not try and fix it. Not that I use it a lot, only got to reddit a few times a week while I open my lemmy app every day.

• Polar@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

I’m here, but barely. I’ve not went back to Reddit (got IP banned during the migration), but Lemmy is too focused on certain topics for me to enjoy it.

Mainly FOSS and Linux community FLOCKED to Lemmy. You really can’t say anything about anything without people coming out of the woods screaming about how stupid you are, how FOSS is better, and Linux is superior.

Remember the backlash over Sync for Lemmy? Massive hate from the Lemmy community because it wasn’t FOSS. Wouldn’t be shocked if the Boost for Lemmy dev stopped developing his app after seeing that. I feel like Lemmy is shooting itself in the foot and pushing people away.

EDIT: case in point. https://lemmy.ca/comment/3131292

• Prethoryn Overmind@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

I second this. Lemmy is fully of “techy people” that think the only way to be “techy” is the way they define it without realizing if you aren’t universally adept or open then you are curating your content to a point you are part of the “sheep” you claim not to be a part of.

If you like anything you pay for then you are wrong. If you still use Windows you are wrong. You need to abandon everything Google and Apple but still buy a Google product and run a degooglefied version of the product. So give the company you hate your money but not your data. Makes perfect sense.

It’s either Linux or the highway but not everyone wants to use a terminal to use Mullvad or Tor every time you want to access the web to shop for a pair of shoes. Despite the fact you can write a script that still requires you to use a terminal to run Tor or what ever.

Not everyone wants Torrent speeds to pirate that piece of Microsoft software or movie. Some of us want to be, “normies” and just buy and use things that work without all the work that is unnecessary in our every day lives. We want to go to work, make money, spend time around people and things we love.

Yes, we get it we are the reason corporations and capitalism exist but I don’t see your FOSS downloads and open source software slowing that way down. We don’t need online tech heros who can prove you can free yourself. We need activists and people like that running got local politics and leadership helping actually put a stop to being taken advantage of.

Posting something about Unity enraging game companies is something anyone can do. But shoving a community off that you should be respectfully educating rather than shunning just because someone didn’t want to pirate a movie and instead watch it on a Windows machine through Linux isn’t or doesn’t change anything.

I am no longer on Reddit but Lemmy is fully of tech people who also often have 0 fucking clue what they are talking about. Which is quite ironic.

• Honytawk@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I noticed that as well.

But they are all coming from specific communities. And in Lemmy it is easy to just block those communities and move on.

Problem is that it does reduce the amount of content you can see, and Lemmy isn’t all that big at the moment.

• Polar@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I’ve only moved back to Firefox because what Google is currently doing with Chrome/Chromium is terrible and harmful.

I will say, Firefox is sluggish and shit, but I refuse to allow Google to fuck over the internet.

• kava@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I’ve just been here since the API change. I’ve been more or less happy with it. Some things are dissapointing, like there being just as much of a hive-mind mentality as reddit. But I guess that’s probably just inherent to online vote-based communities.

I also wish there were an easier way to find new communities - and good ones. I don’t want to browse shitty memes. I want stuff where people are participating in good faith genuine discussion about meaningful topics.

I’ve found some of that here so far.

At the end of the day though, this is open source and decentralized. It’s everything a social media should be. To me, anything less than that is a waste of time. There is zero reason to spend your personal time creating content for a company to profit off of.

• Whippygoatcream@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

This.

I loved the app I used for reddit and the dev decided (rightfully) to redirect the same app style and function to lemmy.

I love how familiar it feels, but agree I wish it was easier to find interesting communities outside of just jokes and memes.

• Thetimefarm@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Reddit is old enough to vote and has several orders of magnitude more users. You can’t create that much content organically overnight. As more content gets added it will attract more people who are interested in that content. In turn those users will contribute even more, even if it’s just in the form of engagement and upvoting posts they like.

Lemmy is already experiencing some growing pains because the decentralized, user hosted nature of the platform will never be able to react quickly across all instances. We deal with it because we don’t want to be controlled by one overarching entity and this is the ONLY alternative. Are there issues? Yes. Are there fewer issues than other social media sites? I don’t know, but the problems are at least different and potentially more fixable in the long run.