My good ol 2+ year Plex server host has been banned again. I have given up on this, I do not have access to an obscure server with few customers that will avoid future bans.

What’s the platform of choice moving forward? Need wife-approval factor. Emby and Jellyfin? Where can I source servers? Reddit has made these hard to find and I haven’t found a good community here.

• RBG
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Sorry for this maybe very naive question, but how can you possibly use Plex with only legal content? Can you actually purchase content within Plex? I always thought its just to play the content you provide, which almost always means its illegal since ripping your own discs is mostly piracy too, legally speaking.

• istdaslol@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

depending on where you live. in some places its legal to make copies of disk for personal use or as “backups”. Same with music, or do you think apple would include a “cd ripping feature” in itunes if the usage would be illegal ?

• RBG
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Yes, I know thats the case, but at least in the case of Germany where you are allowed a private copy, its still illegal to break DRM to do so. So most stuff you could rip for private use is made illegal, since it comes with DRM.

• istdaslol@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

But you can always use the DVR, you dont violate any DRM-Laws. As its included in many settop-boxes or even TVs. Plex even has a feature to automatically record for you based on EPG data

• RBG
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Thanks, you are the first person to actually provide a real argument. I did not know Plex can connect to a DVR.

• istdaslol@feddit.de
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 months ago

plex can be a dvr. I have my cableTV directly pluged into my server and use plex for recording, as well as watching tv

• entropicdrift@lemmy.sdf.org
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 months ago

Jellyfin can work as a DVR too. You just need some extra hardware like a TVHeadend or a TV tuner card to hook it up to your cable/satellite/antenna feed

• stonedemoman@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

I don’t disagree with your definitions of legality, but I do disagree fundamentally that ripping a movie should be under the same umbrella of piracy if the intent is not to distribute.

Even blurays that offer a bonus “digital copy” are redeemed through a third-party that packs it with DRM so you can’t use it for your own media server. How are they even supposed to enforce this absolute assanine law that I can’t watch the damn movie that I bought on my own terms?

• RBG
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Just to be clear, I don’t support this definition either, its stupid.

Technically often making a copy is not illegal, but breaking DRM is. Unfortunately almost everything comes with DRM so in consequence rippping becomes indirectly illegal. At least in Germany this is the case.

• FigMcLargeHuge@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          9 months ago

I mean if you want to go full technical here, your dvd/bluray player is breaking the DRM as well.

Edit: Ignore this, I am a dumbass.

• RBG
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            9 months ago

No it is not. Those players usually come with a purchased license to unlock the DRM. If you try and play them on a laptop you need a player software that has the same type of license. Try opening a disc like that on your PC with a freshly installed VLC player, it won’t work. There you need to break DRM by adding the famous libraries like libdvdcss and what else they are called.

• magnusrufus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

which almost always means its illegal since ripping your own discs is mostly piracy too, legally speaking

Is this actually the case?

• Banzai51@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Hasn’t been tested in this context. But if you’re sharing it, that puts you in another set of legal cross hairs.

• RBG
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

So I clarified this in another post, and I admit I only know German law on this but ripping is technically legal for a private copy, but you are not allowed to break DRM for it. So indirectly it makes it fully illegal since almost nothing comes without DRM anymore.

• Banzai51@midwest.social
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

In the US it is more breaking the DRM is applicable to the software/hardware used to break DRM. Against US citizens that break DRM for their own personal use hasn’t been tested and most legal experts seem to argue it is fair use as long as you don’t share.