cross-posted from: https://lemmy.ml/post/6745228

TLDR: Apple wants to keep china happy, Stewart was going after china in some way, Apple said don’t, Stewart walked, the show is dead.

Not surprising at all, but sad and shitty and definitely reduces my loyalty to the platform. Hosting Stewart seemed like a real power play from Apple, where conflict like this was inevitable, but they were basically saying, yes we know, but we believe in things and, as a big company with deep pockets that can therefore take risks, to prove it we’re hosting this show.

Changing their minds like this is worse than ever hosting the show in the first place as it shows they probably don’t know what they’re doing or believe in at all, like any big company, and just going for what seems cool, and undermining the very idea of a company like Apple running a streaming platform. I wonder if the Morning Show/Wars people are paying close attention.

• AdamHenry
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 months ago

How did Apple not see this coming up as future conflict with it’s talent. Its almost like they didn’t watch the fucking show, or the causes he devoted himself to after retiring. It’s a rare thing I know, but not everyone can be bought. His entire platform that he’s built up over the years, would have collapsed if he had pulled a John Cena.

• NuXCOM_90Percent@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      8 months ago

Stewart was “edgy” in the 00s but is largely a safe bet these days. More Kimmel than Oliver.

China was always a danger but also seems like the kind of thing that can be “this is the one topic you aren’t allowed to talk about” and nobody would ever really notice.

The real issue is AI. You can’t NOT talk a bout AI at this point and that is where even liberal leaning centrists tend to have very vocal takes about the implications on labor and media.

• AdamHenry
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I also disagree with the Kimmel comparison, as his facade as a nice guy became transparent as his show progressed. I am not a Stewart fanboy in any sense, and while he may have lost some edge due to maturity, he has stayed true to what he thinks is the right thing.

• NuXCOM_90Percent@lemmy.zip
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          8 months ago

I am not talking about whether you like them as a person or want to go to their birthday party.

What I mean is that Kimmel will go hard on a “safe” topic like trump but is not going to be causing controversy. That is more or less where Stewart has been since The Daily Show (honestly, kind of during it too).

Whereas people like John Oliver are very much the kind of people you hire knowing that the ratings will be worth the controversy.

• AdamHenry
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I will admit I really haven’t considered the implications of AI being a real threat. I am aware that it is a potential tool to cut labor costs, but havie not gone further into the rabbit hole.

• r3df0x ✡️✝☪️@7.62x54r.ru
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

In the early 2000s, the conservatives were The Man.

Progressive ideology from even 2012 has largely trickled into conservatism as it is now. Modern “progressives” are now going mask off as neoliberal uniparty fascists. It’s why the Democrats and uniparty Republicans both support war while conservatives are opposing it. 40 years ago Republicans fully supported proxy wars with Russia.