• Tartas1995
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

Honestly I don’t think they think of “old traditional man heels” and “new woman heels” as the same thing. Something along the lines, "It is not timely to wear man heels and woman heels are all you can buy now anyway and wearing those is unmanly "

• SatanicNotMessianic@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Heels versus no heels was not the point I was raising. The point is that fashion changes. So let’s say in ten years RuPaul leads a violent revolution. Everyone must now wear drag. Or let’s say it’s a gentler slope, and Christian Siriano transforms global fashion so that the majority of men wear dresses and carry purses.

When they say “men should dress like men” they’re not acknowledging that fashion is a thing that changes radically over time and between cultures. These are not the type of people who say “everything is relative and you should do whatever the majority is doing” consciously. They’re the opposite of that. But that’s exactly what they’re saying here - that people should conform to whatever the current thing is.

It’s about fear of change and the desire to oppress and has fuck-all to do with what kinds of clothes are unchanging appropriate for people whose genders they wish to define.

• Tartas1995
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I meant that you are looking at the dresses that a drag queen wears today and the future of your example as the same but they probably don’t. I understand your question. I don’t think they have the same issue as you because they just don’t acknowledge that the dresses are the same thing. You know, a kilt is not a skirt, kind of mentality. So when the future comes, and fashion changes, they don’t acknowledge the things to be the same thing again. For them, it is probably about social norms and the illusion of stability in it.