I use plasma, BTW

• jbk
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 months ago

Lennart Poettering being completely unable to fathom why anyone would ever want to use any piece of software other than his

What’s behind this? I’m sure it’s definitely not 100 % a single guy working on systemd, and tbh hating software because of the person who wrote it seems rather silly.

And what about those API changes you mentioned? Genuinely curious, I thought it always at least mentions them in release notes during betas.

• AVincentInSpace@pawb.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

It appears I was mistaken – systemd does announce changes to internal interfaces on their mailing list although I can’t be bothered to find out how much warning they give – but I believe my point stands. Regardless of whether he gives adequate warning, he’s still very much a dick about it (“gentoo users, this is your wakeup call”) and he still seems to be doing the embrace-extend-extinguish thing. It used to be possible to run systemd-logind without systemd – it no longer is – and that mail I just linked is about making udev hard dependent as well.

Of course Poettering does not do all the development himself, but he does lead the project and it is his hubris and inability to accept that one size does not fit all that is responsible for the project being as hostile to outside implementations as it is.

Again, it’s not the systemd project making alternatives to widely used applications and daemons (or even bringing development of those applications under the systemd umbrella) that I mind. It’s Poettering’s “my way or the highway” attitude and apparent belief that if your system is not either 0% systemd or 100% systemd then you do not deserve to have a system that works.

• pascal@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

“gentoo users, this is your wakeup call”

that was from 2014.

As a gentoo user, he can go eat some dicks, my system today runs just fine.

• HuntressHimbo@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

You can look up Lennart Poettering yourself, but he was also involved in PulseAudio which if you learned Linux in the 00’s might give you pause, and has had some minor beef with Linus Torvalds before. His Wikipedia page has something like 5 paragraphs for controversies and 2 for his actual career.

I think focusing on him is a mistake, but I also understand people who were still mad about PulseAudio latching on to him if they also had issues with Systemd. This article goes into some of it, but I can’t vouch fully for its accuracy. I will say that the dates of 2008 for PulseAudio’s release and 2012ish for when it became actually fairly functional lines up pretty roughly with my own memory, and systemd was released in 2010 and adopted by Arch and Debian in early 2012, so PulseAudio was barely fixed before the same developer started pushing Systemd, and succeeded in getting the normally very conservative Debian developers on board.

https://linuxreviews.org/Lennart_Poettering#So_Much_Drama