• ValiantDust
      link
      fedilink
      666 months ago

Also: cleaning. I’ve had flatmates who managed to take the same time for cleaning the bathroom or the kitchen and yet it somehow still wasn’t clean.

• IninewCrow
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        6 months ago

My mom was a fast order cook and when I was a teen she got me to help her run a fast food shop our family ran for a few years. She taught me how to work in a kitchen and how to cook.

Her basic rules were … if you aren’t cooking you’re cleaning, if you aren’t cleaning you’re cooking, and if you aren’t cooking or cleaning, get out of the kitchen.

• Snot Flickerman
          link
          fedilink
          English
          226 months ago

If you aren’t cleaning as you go, the food prep area will get gross and unsanitary fast. This goes for cooking at home, too.

• @gohixo9650
            link
            36 months ago

once I had a flatmate that every time he was cooking he was leaving the kitchen like a warzone and he had used every utensil available in the kitchen. He somehow thought that it was faster for him to focus only on the cooking and after it is completed, to do all the dishes, pots, utensils, glasses, oven trays, scissors, screwdrivers, hammers, drills or whatever else he may had used.

• I learned one of my best cooking lessons from Hell’s Kitchen: taste taste taste!

As long as your food is safe to taste (i.e. not raw poultry or something), taste it, at every stage of cooking. You’ll find you get better at tasting foods and predicting what things your dish needs.

• Helix 🧬
      link
      fedilink
      156 months ago

yes! It saves so much money if you can cook properly and don’t have to rely on expensive restaurants for “fancy” food.

• Call me Lenny/Leni
      link
      fedilink
      English
      56 months ago

Some cooking is much, much easier than others. Making a pizza isn’t as much an issue as, say, preparing an exotic bird. Cooking involves a level of aesthetics and physics that I could never master for the very reason I could never scrape the iceberg of those two skills.

• @Asafum@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      36 months ago

For me there are few feelings better in the world than having an entire meal not only cooked by yourself, but grown too! I love grabbing veggies from the garden and making dinner. Something so cool about being almost entirely self sufficient.

• No_
      link
      fedilink
      16 months ago

NOT EASY, are you fucking kidding me? Every recipe has convoluted bullshit. Every step is millimetric, everything needs to be prepped simultaneously at the exact correct heat and time so it doesn’t just fucking burn. All of this takes hours, and you eat it in 30min…

People who enjoy cooking are meth lab psychopaths.