Sounds like a purely american problem.

• CurlyMoustache@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Here in Norway schools force their pupils to attend church right before christmas , even though almost noone celebrates christmas as christians (we call it “jul”).

Every year there’s a fucking debate about how nice it is of the state to force young kids to go to church. All because of tradition 🤷

• uriel238@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Isnt Jól Wotanic? I remember something about lighting a giant log in a bonfire and every spark is a promise from Thor of a new lamb.

I could be talking out my ass, informed by comic books.

• CurlyMoustache@lemmy.world
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

Around here it was the Vikings that celebrate “julablot” around the 12th of January. What they celebrated is not known, but it involved alcohol and sacrifice.

We’ve kept the name, the alcohol and much of the heathen symbols. Christianity is a small part of it after it was forced upon the Vikings under the threat of violence and death.

• FlexibleToast@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

I don’t know, even as an American, I see more people complaining about this problem than people who actually act like this. It seems especially worse this year for some reason.

• porcariasagrada@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

aren’t there presidential campaigns next year in the us? this “war on christmas”(dog whistle for war on christian conservatives) concept has become a rallying banner every christmas since at least 2014 for conservatives. every year is the same. they even complained about cups going from red to green in some fast food company because they thought it was a “war on christmas”.

next year elections so they are ramping up their rethoric to rally their voter fanatic christian voter base.

• Nima@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

I’d advise that you do what we Americans do when we encounter those types of individuals.

We say “that person is a weirdo. let’s leave.” and leave. very easy!

• kofe@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

If you aren’t spending time around people that complain about it, that makes sense. My mom is normally pretty quiet while my dad yells about whatever political issue, but this is one topic she gets vocally upset about as we’re celebrating Christmas together literally every year. It’s wild

• I_Fart_Glitter@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

My conservative relatives have taken up the battle against calling it “X-mas.” I have explained ad nauseam that the X is for the Greek letter “chi” which is the first letter in Χριστός (Chrīstós) and it is not “Xing out Jesus from his own birthday.” But here we are.

• uriel238@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

That’s a new variant. My dad’s a rocket scientist who’s managed satellite projects in pursuit of better climate data. Yet he’s a FOX News indoctrinate, a MAGA true believer, and now a climate crisis denialist.

Even those who should know better are susceptible to propaganda.

• LillyPip@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Manufacturing outrage is extremist Christians’ favourite pastime. See also: witch burnings, the Crusades, and the Inquisition.

They’re desperate for someone to hate and blame.