link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    5 months ago

That pedos shouldn’t be subject to extra-legal punishments. Think being lynched and shit. I also don’t think they should be getting their own special cases in the law beyond those with a clear purpose of preventing reoffending.

Don’t get me wrong, I think they are pure scum.

But things we allow on the basis of the accused being a pedo or terrorist have a habit of spilling over and affecting the general population. A lot of bad laws have made it onto books by blaming these two groups, for example.

• 𝘋𝘪𝘳𝘬
      link
      fedilink
      405 months ago

A lot of bad laws have made it onto books by blaming these two groups, for example.

You can’t even classify or discuss pedophilia as a sexual disorder and not an intentional decision without sounding like a pedophile.

link
        fedilink
        255 months ago

I think the worst thing we do is basically shut down non-harmful outs.

We attack therapists who don’t outright vilify non-offending pedos, without considering the fact that said pedos come to them because they don’t want to offend, don’t want to hurt.

If these people don’t have harmless outs, they will instead turn to harmful outs and covering up their crimes.

• 𝘋𝘪𝘳𝘬
          link
          fedilink
          45 months ago

If these people don’t have harmless outs, they will instead turn to harmful outs and covering up their crimes.

Wasn’t it that studies show that in most child abuse cases the abuser is not a pedophile?

link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            5 months ago

Depends what terminology you use. Officially, pedophile means sexually interested in prepubescent children, with a second term, ephebephile, for those with sexual interest in teenagers, but in general usage, ‘pedophile’ usually covers all sexual interest in minors.

So using the official definition you’re correct, as most cases involve teenagers, but most people will just call them pedophiles anyway.

For clarity’s sake, I’ve been using the term pedo in the general sense (all people attracted to minors).

• TherouxSonfeir
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        5 months ago

“Conservatives” hate disorder research, because they are most of them.

• @RedditRefugee69@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      5 months ago

An egregious crime should have an egregious sentence but only in accordance with a fair due process. I also feel like far right groups are packing gunpowder in the barrel of the musket with hate for pedophilia (an easy thing for anyone to hate) and are planning to use it to invoke violence on people with fabricated evidence against them. It’s becoming a dangerous powder keg

link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        5 months ago

Absolutely. As for your second point, they do this with LGBT+ groups all the time, trying to tie them to pedophilia to get the FUD going.

• @Zoboomafoo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      05 months ago

It’s possible to think both “these people deserve to have their fingernails removed” and “a just society cannot inflict cruel punishment”