• aroom
    link
    fedilink
    -55 months ago

the fact that you label some vegan as purist says more about your own conflicts that the way vegan choose to live. vegan purist is a nonsense. you are either vegan or not.

you choose what you consume, but don’t put the blame on vegan. for me being vegetarian or carnist is not so different. vegetarian are still supporting the status quo and it’s fair to state this fact.

once again it’s your choice. own it.

• @whenigrowup356@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      85 months ago

Sorry, but I just don’t think this attitude is useful for reducing harm to animals. It’s rare for people to hear about veganism and then go straight from eating meat to eating 0 animal products, for 100 reasons. I spent like 10 years vegetarian before finally going vegan.

This overly critical attitude and stereotypes associated with it do a lot to push people away from bothering with making any steps at all.

No one is able to fully eliminate animal harm from their lives, and any steps that anyone is making on the road to reducing it should be applauded. It’s our only option if we want to be anything other than a hated minority.

• aroom
        link
        fedilink
        05 months ago

no. the attitude that is not useful is to make up arguments to justify our choices.

we know the fact. we choose to act on them or not. and this is the same for a lot more topics than veganism.

don’t return the responsibility on the people who act to diminish suffering and waste of ressources. vegetarians like carnists contribute to keep the status quo. it’s not debatable.

you choose to live how you want - within the limit of the law - and it’s totally ok. but own your choices, you don’t need to justify them.

we all are full of contradiction, and it’s more than ok. but don’t make up stuff to make them ok. just accept them.