• @j4k3@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    511 months ago

OP - use Post Image to host and only post the links to Lemmy, especially on .ml where the server is (IIRC) someone’s self hosted system. Uploading to Post Image is just like old skool imgur before it became trackerware junk. Once uploaded, open the image itself in a new tab in the browser to be sure you have the full size raw image URL. Then paste this into the post. You can even do this after posting something like this post in an edit too. If you want to post a linked image into the body of a post or in a comment, the syntax is:

![image](OnlyEditThisPartWithYourURL)

Leave the “image” text in the brackets alone.

This extra step for external image hosting will reduce the load on all instances, and the image will load much faster for users, avoiding most confusion about this being a meme when you posted it in Linux instead of Linux-memes.

https://postimages.org

• Sinthoras39OP
      link
      edit-2
      11 months ago

ok thanks. im new to this and just ctrl-v-ed with the image in my clipboard. do you hav esome tips on finding communities? its not as easy as on reddit…

• @j4k3@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        311 months ago

Your home instance has a big impact on what you can see. It is something of an uphill struggle coming from a smaller instance if others have not already found communities elsewhere. IIRC, you may not be able to subscribe to many unless you first try to post a message to them. This establishes the connection between instances/communities if no one else has already made the connection on your instance. It was a question that came up on .world a lot back when Lemmy was just a few thousand total users, but it is not something I have had to do. I have accounts on other instances that have defederated or that I want to separate interaction from. There is nothing wrong with having accounts elsewhere. If you just use a mobile browser and save login creds it is easy to use several accounts at the same time. I know this seems crazy, to go back to a browser based existence, but the fediverse is not trying to make browsers difficult in order to funnel people onto a stalkerware app. It works quite well.