• themeatbridge
      link
      fedilink
      -15 months ago

The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter. Is a 12 year old actually worse in any way?

• @Kusimulkku@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            5 months ago

Because they’re like the average person, but even worse since they don’t have the life experience and understanding older people have.

We are talking about 12-yo people ffs. Even compared to average adult they’re totally retarded.

• themeatbridge
              link
              fedilink
              05 months ago

I know 12 year olds that are working part time to help raise siblings, and I know 30 year olds that have never left their hometown or read a book that wasn’t required in school. Old people with lots of life experience don’t understand data privacy and think climate science is a fad. Young people have a unique perspective on issues like education, social security, and economic investment in the future. Why is that life experience less valid at 12 than at 18? Why is life experience necessary at all?

Why does intelligence factor into your objection? We don’t ask adults to pass a test, nor should we. While I object to you using “retarded” to call children stupid, your slur undercuts your own argument. Adults with intellectual disabilities are able to vote without any obstacles or tests. The average 12 year old is perfectly capable of understanding complex topics and making informed decisions. They may not make the decisions we would like them to make, and they may regret their decisions, but again how is that different from any adult?

• @Kusimulkku@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                15 months ago

Calling 12-yo’s takes “unique” is certainly one way to phrase it.

Why is that life experience less valid at 12 than at 18? Why is life experience necessary at all?

Because you have to set the bar somewhere.

The average 12 year old is perfectly capable of understanding complex topics and making informed decisions.

Have you actually met any 12-year-olds? Their understanding of stuff is retarded.

• themeatbridge
                  link
                  fedilink
                  15 months ago

I’m happy to debate this with you, but that’s the second time you’ve used a slur disparaging people with disabilites. Hope your day is as pleasant as you are.

• @Kusimulkku@lemm.ee
                    link
                    fedilink
                    15 months ago

What, do you mean retard? Does it mean something other than mentally retarded or what’s the issue