• @recarsion
    link
    25 months ago

I risk sounding very “AKSHUALLYY” here, but online tests do a huge harm to the credibility of MBTI, no wonder it gets such a bad rep when the tests are so unreliable and people nevertheless base their entire personalities on it… Originally it’s not supposed to be based on the binary choices of the 4 letters but the “cognitive functions” as defined by Carl Jung, which a lot of people will find to be just as much non-sense but with the right attitude I think they’re a useful tool to learn about ourselves and others.

• @kshade@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      5 months ago

Yeah, anyone who thinks that there’s exactly 16 types of person is using it like a horoscope, but that really isn’t the point.

but the “cognitive functions” as defined by Carl Jung, which a lot of people will find to be just as much non-sense but with the right attitude I think they’re a useful tool to learn about ourselves and others.

Exactly, and that’s what it helped me with. It’s not a personality test about how you act outwardly (or which Pokémon you are or whatever), it’s supposed to be about the inner workings.

But if you want an example of misuse: There’s an MBT community on Reddit that is full of that sort of bullshit.