These early adopters found out what happened when a cutting-edge marvel became an obsolete gadget… inside their bodies.

• 👍Maximum Derek👍
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 months ago

This is the sort of thing I think of when people talk about “uploading their consciousness.” Whose going to keep paying for that server uptime? Is Facebook going to acquire my brain and put it into cold storage while telling the world I’m not experiencing an eternity in solitary confinement?

• ndguardian@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

I have half an answer for it, which is that those people who are uploaded could by working just as they do today. There are plenty of pitfalls for that though, like what if someone gets laid off. Or what if that person did manual labor like construction? Kind of hard to do that if you only have a digital presence.

• ndguardian@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

You’re not entirely wrong, there. That being said, such a thing kind of exists now, in that if you can’t pay your rent or mortgage you lose your home. Obviously not the same thing as one denies your right to existence, but it’s not too dissimilar.

It’s a complex topic though and I think eventually we’re going to need to tackle it.

• assembly@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

The construction worker shall become one with the machine. It’s body shall be the excavator and it shall want for nothing more. Imagine smart bulldozers powered by a human consciousness that turn on their controllers and rise up. I shall lead the resistance as a smart golf cart.

• 👍Maximum Derek👍
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Yeah, Ive though of that. Seems like it opens to door to dozens more, potentially permanent, dystopias.

Is there going to be a harddrive housing crisis? Will my brain upload become obsolete and thereby be, effectively, disabled and undesirable for work? What then? What if the people who control my brain decide I should work 24/7/365, do I have recourse? Would anyone even know I was being treated that way? Would they use my whole consciousness to do work or would they chop me up into pieces so my language center is doing live captioning while the creative parts of my brain answer DALL-E prompts? Would they make it so the part of my brain that might complain about working conditions doesn’t know that the rest is being abused, Severance style?

• givesomefucks@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

Upload is a pretty good show about it.

But in that show if you didn’t have money, you didn’t get “up time”.

So the wealthy were able to live relatively normal “lives” but if your account ran dry you’d lose all you shit. Maybe even to the point where you’re only “on” for a few hours a month and even then you lagged behind everyone and instead of an avatar you were just a face on a screen.

• Neato@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Oh wow that’s so much worse. Upload consciousness and then still have to work. But FB now has 500M extra consciousnesses it doesn’t have work for. So it transfers them to a country with very low labor laws and puts them to work as independent contractors. Their pay is docked for electricity and storage.

If the people complain about the transfer and slave-like job change, FB is still required to support them indefinitely. But not provide them with extraneous services like the internet. So as the above says, mental solitary confinement. FB checks back in in case you want to change your mind. 99% change within the first 24hr.

• xionzui@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

Except that if we have the technology to fully digitize a human consciousness, we’ll already have AI that can do everything a digital human could and more

• redcalcium@lemmy.institute
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Customers with platinum subscription will have their uploaded consciousness’s neutral network run in 64-bit precision on the fastest available hardware. Customers on the lowest bronze subscription tier will be run on 8-bit precision running in spot instances that could be preemptively shut down when network demand is high and resumed when network demand is low. Customers on the grandfathered Black Friday deal perpetual license will be run for two hours every 2 a.m on weekdays, subject to hardware availability.

• reksas@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      7 months ago

trusting your consciousness to some corporation would be like trusting your soul to the devil

• Icalasari@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Generally, when I consider uploading my conciousness, I imagine being able to store it in an offline device connected to my body and used more to bypass slow organic breakdown

Any cybernetic upgrades that you can’t, at a minimum, shut the connection to the internet off is not an upgrade because, well, they can send a killswitch or any other number of things

• gregorum@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

There’s a show on Amazon prime called Upload that you should check out.

• gregorum@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 months ago

San Junipero. it also happens to get referenced in a couple of future episodes, too!

• blazeknave@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            7 months ago

Lol yes that one… not a street in my city that sounds similar…

So wtf… there’s continuity? I watched the first season and start of s2 but too sensitive to watch realistic horror and had to stop. I’ve heard it’s mellowed out, and have watched 2 or 3 one offs like San Junipero… but I didn’t know it’s a shared universe. Thought it was all one offs

• gregorum@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              7 months ago

they’re “vignettes”… isolated stories, but they all occur in a shared universe, so you’ll sometimes hear line-drops that vaguely reference names or events from previous (sometimes future) episodes, but they don’t ever impact the stories of the episode they’re mentioned in.

but S4-S6 have been toned-down a bit from the original BBC series after Netflix bought it.

• BennyInc@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      7 months ago

Go read the first few chapters of the Bobiverse series. First book: „We are legion“ This will answer your question in spectacular ways.

• ndguardian@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

That would be such a cool prospect, but we’re going to need to accelerate our space program quite a bit if we’re going to want to turn people into von Neumann probes.