• Karcinogen
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

A large part of these developmental delays are due to the social isolation from the Covid shutdown. Many children missed out of vital childhood experiences. Literacy isn’t the only thing they’re behind in. Their social skills are emaciated. They don’t know how to interact with people because they were deprived of the opportunity.

• Rageagainstbelief@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

There is an effect there but this has been a problem before COVID. Anecdotal but a teacher friend has been complaining about this for years. I know all parents don’t have the time but we read a ton to our kids and helped them learn to read when they were just getting started.

• frickineh@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

That’s some of it, but there are high school kids who come in to my office and literally write like 5 year olds. I mean holding the pen like little kids do, handwriting that’s a dead ringer for my kindergarten work books, all of it. Those kids were struggling way before COVID.

• JJROKCZ@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

In their defense, in the modern workforce there is little need for handwriting so there’s little need to teach it. You need to sign your name occasionally but other than that, handwriting is rare due to prevalence of typing.

• BottleOfAlkahest@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

This is true in office work but less automated professions may be closer to 50/50 still. It is true though that non-office work environments are also less likely to care about writing than reading comprehension though.

• Carmakazi@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

My read on things is that a lot of kids are also lacking in basic computer skills like typing, since their main device is a smartphone.