• Tolookah
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

I don’t think the Spartan 6 can, it’s an fpga with no arm, the zynq can, there’s a lot of other arm chips that I assume can run some type of Linux, but the blurry ones are throwing me off

Edit, top left is a 286 CPU, and the Intel one has an earlier date, so they MIGHT be able to runwalk it, it’ll be not good

• grue@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Not only could mainline Linux never run on a 286, it also definitely doesn’t count as an “SoC” to begin with. It needed a separate co-processor just to do floating-point math, let alone to manage all the I/O that a SoC does on-die.

• socphoenix@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

There is a project looking to do this kind of, known as elks that has images for 80286 chips. I have no idea why you’d want to do that to yourself though.

• amigan@lemmy.dynatron.me
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

Interesting. Reminds me of PC/IX, and it probably similarly doesn’t even enter pm, judging from it running also on an 8086.

• user134450@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

this is extra tricky because they did not specify the exact kernel. mainline could be any of the kernels tagged as stable that you can build from linus’ git tree. i know that in the past you could run a mainline linux on intel 368 chips but today you probably can not because official support was dropped a while ago.

• InputZero@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

Part of me wishes I still had my families old 386 or commodore knock-off. Read some of the terrible short stories I wrote, play tanks. I remember when my Mom’s friend came over with a stack of 51/4 floppies and installed a program that played the Loonie Toons theme song with their logo and Buggs Bunny captioned saying “That’s all folks.” It blew my mind, video (sort of) on a computer, how was that even possible. I wondered how they got it to connect to the cable cause no way a computer could do that. Dang I’m getting old lol.

• dfyx@lemmy.helios42.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

If posted in the right circles, this might motivate someone to get something on a Spartan 6 that runs Linux.

• uis@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

it’s an fpga with no arm

You can make arm in fpga. Or more realistically RISC-V.

• flambonkscious@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I just go by the colour - I don’t like the slightly maroon Qualcomm one.

It’s like picking politicians but different - with then I go by their haircuts…