• Wistful
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

I just learned about it yesterday. Seems like Vivaldi but on gecko, which I always wanted to see.
    Unfortunately it seems like it’s maintained by only one overworked dev. It needs more funding and more devs.

• loki@lemmy.ml
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

AFAIK it’s maintained by a group called Ablaze and I think I saw them mention they are university students and opensource enthusiasts in Github discussions.

There are blog posts on their site about changes to their team and leadership. Their blog is in Japanese but I just translate it with Firefox’s inbuilt translator. So I don’t think it’s a single dev.

• Wistful
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Oh my bad then. That was just the impression I got based on posts in floorp subreddit.

• Zerush@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

The most similar, not to say identical to floorp, is Midori. Other which try to recreate old Opera is Otter (Qt5, not Gecko), also nice, private, FOSS and blazing fast.

• Wistful
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

Midori seems pretty shady. I remember it as a super minimalistic browser, but now it seems like they are straight up taking someone elses work and just changing the name and sponsor links within. I tried it and it seems like 1:1 copy of floorp.

• Zerush@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

What I said, anyway try also Otter, even if it isn’t a Gecko browser (AFAIK it also admits in last versions the import of Chrome extensions (Qt5 is a fork of Blink), also userscripts without the need of Tamper, Greay or Violentmonkey). It will be also the fastest browser you ever have tested.

• Wistful
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

I did try Otter in the past when I was looking for the Opera replacement, never really liked it. It seems like it’s pretty dead…last update was 2 years ago. And speed was never really my priority for the browser anyways. I’m not really looking to replace my browser, I’m happy with Vivaldi, I just like to check what else is there. I was happy to see that there is a browser based on gecko that seems to be going in the similar direction as Vivaldi.

• Zerush@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              5 months ago

No, only some parts are not updated some years, but the last core update is from 10 hours ago, others from a month. It’s a very small community and logical that the developement isn’t so active as in the big ones. The last updates also includes the possibility to use extensions, before not prossible. But yes, it’s always better to use browsers in active developement and community. Which isn’t the case in indie and marginal browsers and forks, mostly 1-2 devs projects.

• Dagnet@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

So it has tab stacking? (I don’t treestyle/vertical tabs, it’s not the same thing)