• dependencyinjection
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Why?

I could have used it I guess as I don’t know the gender of it, but what’s wrong with things? I love animals and I didn’t mean to use it in a derogatory way.

• lugal@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Why didn’t you say:

Hate to anthropomorphise animals but it looks like it’s smiling, like a big shit eating grin.

Or stuff still feels more neutral. But I’m not a native speaker of English so maybe “thing” isn’t as derogative as it sounds to me

• big_slap@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

in this case, thing isn’t derogative to a native speaker, in my opinion. I can see where your confusion is, though.

my tip would be to look at the other words in the sentence to try and grasp the tone of the entire statement. I know it’s difficult, but you’ll get there… good luck!

• Fushuan [he/him]@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Thing is a synonim of stuff and they don’t really have any kind of different connotation. Stuff might be more coloquial, which doesn’t mean thing is formal, I wouldn’t use stuff in a form setting, that’s all.

• dependencyinjection
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

As the other person said, I just don’t believe it’s an issue for native English speakers to use “thing” in that context.

• lugal@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

I just today watch an episode where someone said “you are the thing I love most” to a person as if it was a sign or something but it’s just selective memory.

I’m sorry for being stupid I guess. We are all here to learn.