• ColeSloth
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Pretty much the entirety of the Animorphs book series, but I guess there was a reason for it. But for some kids books, holy hell.

“See, win or lose, right or wrong, the memory of violence sits inside your head. It sits there, like some lump you can’t quite swallow. It sits there, a black hole that darkens hope, and eats away at everyday happiness like a cancer. It’s the shadow you take into your own heart and try to live with.”

• intensely_human@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Man if they tried to put that in a Dark Knight comic the editor would probably want them to tone it down

• ColeSloth
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Probably so. That’s a great little quote from the books, but the stories and descriptions and gruesome torture and trauma and death and moral delimas and specicide in those books are just crazy.

If it wasn’t sex or rape, it was on the table.

• Dharma Curious@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I was on an animorph forum for years past the age those books were aimed at, and some of my best friends were made there. That book series shaped me a lot, and it absolutely went as hell sometimes. Marco, man, whoo… The shit Marco went through.

• ColeSloth
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Yep. I read them as a tween/teen and re-read them after doubling up in age from the first time. Still awesome.

• Dharma Curious@startrek.website
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

I never read them when I was super young, so I’m mostly well adjusted. Haha. First time was when I was 16, got stoned at a buddy’s place and the power went out. He took a nap, and I read Visser. Lemme tell you, that’s one helluvan introduction to the series.