• nvvp
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

What do these guys do when they want to watch a movie or a tv show? Do they have a big list to check if it’s woke or not? Because 90% of Hollywood films must be woke by their definition.

• SwampYankee@mander.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

For some reason I watched one of these dudes review Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. It was woke because there were more women than men in the bridge crew.

• Starkstruck@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

The amount of conservatives who don’t realize that Star Trek is the OG “woke” show is crazy. Like yes THAT’S THE POINT OF THE SHOW!

• pancakes@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

I love SNW and can say I (and probably 99% of viewers) have never noticed this because who actually counts up the number of each sex? I feel like even with their logic, the captain being a man should give them some level of comfort…

• Transporter Room 3@startrek.website
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

Back in TOS, Pike said something to the effect of “I’ll never get used to a woman on the bridge” so I’m sure somewhere along the lines someone in production/writing had a good laugh.

And honestly… Who gives a flying fuck.

I didn’t think I would like it because it changes a lot of stuff, but nah. I like what I’ve seen so far, admittedly haven’t gotten too far since my wife wanted to start watching star trek with me and we started on TNG.

ANYONE criticizing “new trek” for “being woke” is an idiot who has no idea about the history of the entire show.

That’s like people getting mad at Rage Against the Machine because they were just such a great NONPOLITICAL band before… And I’ll probably listen to the guy with a PoliSci degree over some rando in oakleys screaming into a phone while sitting in his lifted pickup.

• Damage@slrpnk.net
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

new trek is bad when it’s superficial and action-y, see DIS and PIC, but SNW is true to the spirit of Star Trek, pitching actual sci-fi scenarios and provoking thought.

• VindictiveJudge@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

I had someone who actually watched the movie tell me that Dial of Destiny was too liberal. Unless they’re literally a Nazi or object to the reality of Vietnam War protestors existing in 1969, I have no idea what they meant.