• rufus
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

I think you can safely ignore all the errors that happen while acpi=off. That will switch all kinds of things around and the operating system can’t set up the hardware properly without it, so it is to be expected that half the things crap out and throw error messages. Could be a red herring anyways.

Are you sure Secure Boot is switched to “Other OS”? (see https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1049829/ ) You could verify that with the ‘msinfo32’ in the guide.

And I’m really not sure if it’s the UEFI. From your description it seems you’re getting to the boot loader and something happens after… Maybe try not messing with the acpi, but removing the “quiet” and “splash” if they’re there and adding “nomodeset” instead. After you hit Enter (or Ctrl-X with Grub) the early kernel messages should pop up. Something with loading and initrd or like that. What happens then? Does it load the kernel? Do additional log messages with a boot process appear? (If it’s too fast, you can try a video recording of your screen with your phone.)

• Varen@kbin.socialOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

Yes, secure boot is set to Other OS - if set otherwise there’s a message after grub that secure boot is active, so pretty sure about that.

Unfortunately it doesn‘t show anything, even with no parameters at all. The only thing that shows up when changing the grub parameters is the „booting a command line“ message which stays there forever, nothing happens.
      I‘ll record it with my phone when I get home later on today with the nomodeset parameter.

• rufus
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        4 months ago

I have another kernel option for you to try: “earlyprintk is useful when the kernel crashes before the normal console is initialized. It is not enabled by default because it has some cosmetic problems.”

• earlyprintk=vga,keep debug
        • earlyprintk=efi,keep or earlyprintk=bios,keep

I’m not sure if it gets you anywhere, but it could make the fist kernel messages show up.

And you could try replacing the acpi=off with acpi=noirq. If it’s something with the interrputs, there are extra options like apic=irqfixup or nolapic (mind the difference apic <-> acpi). (Taken from this document)

I had the time to google a bit and I was right, I am about to run out of ideas. There is a good general guide in the arch wiki on how to approach issues:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/General_troubleshooting#Boot_problems

Maybe also read that, but that’s pretty much it.

• Varen@kbin.socialOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

Wow thank you so much for keeping up on it!

I tried the earlyprintk options, but unfortunately none of them did work. Neither did the orher acpi options show up something, I do still have the exact same behaviour :(

I will work through the troubleshoot link you pasted, thank you as well for that.

Appreciate your help, I guess I‘ll start thinking about replacing the mobo

• rufus
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

I guess I‘ll start thinking about replacing the mobo

Yeah, I’m slowly getting to the same conclusion. You could try and rip out all other non-essential components to rule them out. If there are any. And go through the BIOS options once more, switch everything to “Other OS” and try the “legacy” modes for ACPI, boot etc. But at this point I somehow doubt any of this will make any difference. Just make sure the next mobo is alright 😆

• Varen@kbin.socialOP
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              4 months ago

got some news. I don’t think, that it might change something, but who knows.
              I added in grub the option “insmod progress” (which I found by googling somewhere). It should show, if kernel and initrd do load or not and now I can see, that the vmlinuz and initrd are loading to 100% and after that it hangs. So it looks like the kernel loads but then stucks.
              As said before, I don’t think that this might change something in regards to further tests with my actual mobo, but I didn’t want to left that out …

• rufus
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                4 months ago

Ah nice. At least something. But I don’t think it’ll change anything since it’s still grub outputting that, and not a life sign from the kernel.

• Varen@kbin.socialOP
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              4 months ago

Yeah I already got one in mind and looked it up on linux-hardware.org - any other option I‘d have to make sure the next one is alright? (Besides socket and compatibility with my other hw)

• rufus
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                4 months ago

Sorry I have no idea. It’s been ages since I last bought a mainboard and that one was recommended in a computer magazine… I’d google it. See if other people have issues with it. And I’t trust blogs, Reddit and forums more than the traditional compatibility charts.

• Varen@kbin.socialOP
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  4 months ago

Alright, no worries! You invested so much time and effort trying to help me out, I can‘t thank you enough for that, really really appreciate it much!

• rufus
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    edit-2
                    4 months ago

Hehe, no worries. I think the community needs to stick together. I used to do (voluntary) computer support once a week at university before I moved, now I occasionally do it here. It’s always nice being able to help people …Or in your case at least trying… To me, it’s way more fun than discussing politics or the latest news, anyways. And I mean I’m no exception. I also sometimes need support, ask questions about a new distro or get my itches scratched by people who solve my issues on Github.

• rufus
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        4 months ago

Really weird. Honesty, I currently have no idea how to proceed. Maybe I can google a bit later/tomorrow. But it’s not looking good. There doesn’t seem to be any good information out there concerning that mainboard an Linux. And since we don’t get an error message there isn’t a clear thing to begin with.

I would have expected at least something happening on the video. Maybe a few lines of text and then the screen flickering and going to black… But nothing?

• Varen@kbin.socialOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

yeah, that’s the reason I am so desperate … I understand, so maybe about time to look around for a new mobo?
          anyways, I wanted to thank you very much for your time and effort in figuring out and trying to help me, I really do appreciate it very much!

• rufus
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

No problem. I wish I could have provided you with a solution. If you have something like a 14 days free return policy, I’d consider returning it. Otherwise, wait a few days before you start thinking about a new motherboard. Maybe someone with a better idea still replies to you.

But I can empathize with your situation. I also used to have hardware that was a mess or didn’t work at all. It’s just annoying.

• Varen@kbin.socialOP
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              4 months ago

No worries, at least you tried and I‘m grateful for it.

One last thing: so you would also go for mobo replacement? In my opinion its uefi/bios and a new mobo should help, but I like having more opinions…

Thank you again for trying

• rufus
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                4 months ago

It’s likely the mobo. A Ryzen processor and a nvidia 3070 isn’t so uncommon. And you already said you updated the BIOS and put quite an amount of effort in.

If you can return it or have a friend in need of a mobo… I’d swap it… However, there is still a possibility that someone reads your post on the weekend and happens to know something more. Or you use Linux in a VM from within Windows. That may work, I don’t know you, I wouldn’t do it since I use Linux 99% of the time.

Only thing I would advise against is hoping the issue will someday get fixed. In many cases it never happens.