• gloss
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

The article focuses on Trump and his legal problems and his desperation, but the fact that the Boomers are going to start dying en masse over the next decade (the oldest ones are now 78) is another factor. Their demographic is getting old as shit. That’s why they are so desperate as a whole.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/319068/party-identification-in-the-united-states-by-generation/

They are going full blown fascist because it’s the only way they’re going to be able to retain power in the future.

• ashok36@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

A huge number, and a disproportionate number at that, of boomers died during covid. We will be feeling that for the next ten years at least.

• stown@sedd.it
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

According to that chart GenX is still a problem and they’ll be around for a while. The thing that gets me worried is the huge number of “Independents” in Millennials and GenZ. How many of those are Liberal Independents and how many of those are Conservative Independents? I wish there was a followup question whenever people where given the option of Independent.

• jaemo@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

GenX and I’d sooner vote for someone with 81 years behind him than 91 charges ahead of him.

Also: fuck every last garbage person conservative, climate change is fucking real, trans rights are human rights, black lives matter, universal healthcare is a right and property is not a fucking investment.

• Shenanigore@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

LOL. literally none of those things are true. Jesus. Black lives matter, sure, bout the same as any one elses. 0.

• CileTheSane@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            4 months ago

Black lives matter, sure, bout the same as any one elses

That is literally the point of the Black Lives Matter movement: stop treating black lives like they matter less than anyone else’s.

• Empricorn@feddit.nl
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

Black lives matter, sure, bout the same as any one elses.

Yeah, you got it! The next step is understanding that they aren’t treated the same. Lives are lost in police interactions or the justice system in general. And they’re still discriminated against for housing among other things… Do you support BLM yet?

• corsicanguppy@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

GenX is still a problem

Don’t I know it. The kids I went to school with are saying the stupidest things – and we took the same classes!! I can’t explain it.

• Wiz@midwest.social
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

I’m GenX and I think I’m mostly lead, plastic, and Styrofoam at this point.

• stoly@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

Being a Xillenial has taught me that age doesn’t make you old, some people are just born that way. Some of my younger, fully-millenial siblings were basically born old. Others age and don’t get old in the process. I hope that I’m in the second category.

• tabarnaski@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

And millenials will be in 15 years, then genZ in another 15… As generations get older, they tend to shift to the right.

• I_Fart_Glitter@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

Not as a rule. Most people don’t change their political leanings, but if they do, you are right, they are more likely to go from liberal to conservative than conservative to liberal.

https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/706889

Abstract

Folk wisdom has long held that people become more politically conservative as they grow older, although several empirical studies suggest political attitudes are stable across time. Using data from the Michigan Youth-Parent Socialization Panel Study, we analyze attitudinal change over a major portion of the adult life span. We document changes in party identification, self-reported ideology, and selected issue positions over this time period and place these changes in context by comparing them with contemporaneous national averages. Consistent with previous research but contrary to folk wisdom, our results indicate that political attitudes are remarkably stable over the long term. In contrast to previous research, however, we also find support for folk wisdom: on those occasions when political attitudes do shift across the life span, liberals are more likely to become conservatives than conservatives are to become liberals, suggesting that folk wisdom has some empirical basis even as it overstates the degree of change.

• gloss
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

I’ve seen other polls that suggest that Gen X is basically a 50/50 split, which means they kind of cancel each other out. But right wing Gen X’ers are basically Boomer-lites so these annoying conspiracy addled people will be with us for the long haul.

I’m not sure how the independents split in the younger generations, but even if its close to 50/50 that’s still a huge boost for the Dems as the Boomers die off.

• stoly@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

First half of Gen X is Boomers, young edition. Second half of Gen X is Millenials, old edition. There really is a big line right in the middle somewhere.

• RBWells@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Well at least one. I am independent because Democrats are center right and I’m more progressive. I’m older GenX. Husband is much more conservative but all of both our kids think more like me, though they register as D mostly.

• GoofSchmoofer@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

I would guess some are. I would guess some are left leaning and some would be independent, middle of the road people.

Just like every other generation before and after Gen X. But big broad brush statements makes arguing on the Internet easier.

• pthaloblue@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

It’ll probably happen with millennials and younger too. It’s true we got fucked over, but for some people it’s surprisingly easy “fuck you I got mine” as we age, and there will always be grifters who take advantage of that.