I am worried that there is not really a benefit of doing that, just more noise and energy consumption.

• unknowing8343OP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

That was an amazing read. Thank you.

What do you say is the use case for separating guest Wi-Fi with the more “private” stuff on your network?

As far as I understand… Basically all communications, even inside a network, are encrypted… So I guess you do that to avoid someone trying to exploit some vulnerability?

• BearOfaTime@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

Basically all communications, even inside a network, are encrypted

LOL, oh no.

Even internet traffic isn’t encrypted by default.

Sadly TCP/IP isn’t encrypted.

• geophysicist
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

If you don’t trust the person, why give them access to your WiFi in the first place?

• osprior@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

You can trust the person, without trusting their technical skills, such that they haven’t inadvertently installed malware on their own devices.

• AA5B@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Remember that once you give the password out, they likely have the password from now on. They will always have access until you change the password.

No, a lot of local traffic is not encrypted, especially residential. No, residential probably doesn’t use much authentication or separation of privileges.

• dan@upvote.au
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

I don’t want my guests to be able to access my home server or Omada controller for example, or spread malware (their phone may have malware without them even knowing). Also, I give the guest wifi to people other than friends, like contractors. Phone reception is horrible at my house so I give them the wifi so they can use wifi calling.

• HACKthePRISONS@kolektiva.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

if you know the wPA key, you know as much as the router. most connections now are ssl, but not all. and of course, you can’t go checking doors and windows if you’re locked out of the gated community.