link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

I disagree that it actually talks about the “ethical philosophy.” Basically either you join the echo chamber saying that there are no ethical problems with piracy, or you’re downvoted to oblivion. The responses are along the lines of “idc, I want free stuff.” That makes the discussion redundant and uninteresting.

• Mastengwe@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

Yep. I got wrecked trying to discuss the nuanced differences between piracy and theft.

Decided then and there to just block all discussions/communities on the topic. If they can’t leave the wind-tunnel, they can keep it to themselves.

• Big P@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

Some people have to jump through a lot of moral hoops to justify piracy instead of accepting there could be any possible bad points about it

• umbrella@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

because the flipside is companies wanting to nickel and dime you to oblivion for a subpar piece of media, or even hardware these days.

• tias
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        4 months ago

We’re talking about whether the community has a nuanced discussion about the ethics of piracy or not. What you said just now is another attempt at a false dichotomy, so if you’re trying to represent the community you’re kind of proving my point.

• umbrella@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          4 months ago

im presenting you with a simple, common but strong argument for it.

you can choose to engage with it with nuance or, apparently, attack me.

you won’t agree with every set of ideals out there, that doesn’t mean it isnt tought out.

• tias
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

Your argument is not relevant to anything I said. So I don’t want to engage with it because it derails the discussion here, which is not about the ethics of piracy but about the community’s openness to discussing it.

• umbrella@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              4 months ago

yes it is. you just dont want to have that discussion.

the community will rightfully shun people parroting the copyrights holders arguments and bad faith arguing, because thats not the place to be if you hate piracy.

• tias
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                4 months ago

They can do whatever they want, it’s their community. Just don’t tell me there’s a nuanced discussion going on there.

• tias
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    4 months ago

I did engage multiple times in that community, when it was on topic. I eventually learned that there was no point in doing so.