• Kerb
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

why would you ring a doorbell in the middle of the woods?

• Echo Dot@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        3 months ago

I just find it funnier that they have to ring the bell. Human nature to press the button.

Also thinking about it I have a doorbell like that and it rings every time a bird flies past. It is supposed to not detect birds, leaves and people driving past on the road, it’s supposed to only detect humans but it 100% doesn’t work. I can totally see something like this malfunctioning and just going off because a leaf got blown past it.

• Seasoned_Greetings@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

I like to think if fairies had access to a doorbell and explosives, they’d absolutely rig something like this.

“Don’t ring a doorbell in the forest” sounds like some fairytale cryptid shit

• slaacaa@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

“The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.”

Albert Einstein

• unexposedhazard
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

Its a wireless camera door bell, called “ring”. No idea if this is real but i assume you could set something like this up to be either motion detection activated(like a mine) or remote activated by looking at the camera feed.

• ramble81@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

That makes it even more comical. Like a Tom and Jerry or Looney Tunes skit.

• jonne@infosec.pub
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 months ago

If you need it remote activated you’d need wifi as well, which makes it kind of complicated to set up with lots of moving parts.

• Tja@programming.dev
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

What if the enemy doesn’t come by in the 2 hours the battery would last streaming video this way?

• Psaldorn@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              3 months ago

It doesn’t stream video full time, it detects motion and then let’s you optionally turn on video. (Maybe that changes if you have zonal movement detection but it’s probably locally processed)

• Echo Dot@feddit.uk
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

I can think of about 500 easier ways to do this. I can’t imagine them doing it the complicated way, when the easy way works just as well, costs less, and is less prone to malfunctioning.

• jonne@infosec.pub
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            3 months ago

Now you need to somehow power that. Also, how reliable is 3G around the front line, you think?

• Psaldorn@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              3 months ago

Russians deliberately don’t attack telecom infrastructure now, because they did initially before discovering it was actually necessary for their own military comms.

Mobile routers can last 12 hours and handle a handful of connections, you can probably supplement them with a usb battery bank too.

Or if there is grid power within WiFi range it’s not an issue. Or there may be more quiescent current models designed for IoT applications (like wind sensors in trees which may have poor signal coverage), I don’t know

• Syd@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

You wouldn’t? I’d ring it without a second thought, especially if it said “do not touch”

• Echo Dot@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Do not press this button if you press this button it will detonate the bomb.

“Oh, I wonder if it really will. I’m just going to press it a little bit.”

• EmoDuck@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

One time I went to Egypt and there was just a random ass power outlet on a rock in the desert. To this day I have no idea why it was there or if it was connected to anything