fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

The whole internet loves Kagi

Lol no

Also Kagi is a glorified Google front end.

• BlueMonday1984@awful.systems
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

Also Kagi is a glorified Google front end.

The fact a glorified Google front end manages to be less shit than Google is a pretty damning indictment of Google, I’ll give Kagi that. Quoting Cory Doctorow, gratuitous italics and all:

The implications of this are stunning. It means that Google’s enshittified search-results are a choice. Those ad-strewn, sub-Altavista, spam-drowned search pages are a feature, not a bug. Google prefers those results to Kagi, because Google makes more money out of shit than they would out of delivering a good product: https://www.theverge.com/2024/4/2/24117976/best-printer-2024-home-use-office-use-labels-school-homework

• mountainriver@awful.systems
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

A Danish ad company made a Google interface that they called “impersonal me” which searched Google with no personalisation. And not only was it better than Google search, it found things that normal Google just didn’t show. In particular old comments I had written and lost track of. In the impersonal search they were easily found, in the normal search they weren’t way down on the list, they weren’t in the list at all.

Fascinatingly bad.

• DdCno1@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

Yup. Last time I checked, you paid money to get the exact same results. Brilliant.