link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

Discord is the antithesis to free web. Stop using it. I won’t join any community using discord.

Oh yeah, and fuck Nintendo

• Karyoplasma
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

I started using Discord because Skype was pissing me off. Now, Discord starts to piss me off with their bullshit. I’m just too tired to move to yet another platform that will start sucking once it’s grown bigger. I hate this “social media” focus on every little fucking thing. This stupid “we are building a community” garbage should die.

Maybe it’s time for me to burn everything down and go live in the woods. I don’t particularly resonate with people anyway.

• Wiz@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

You’ve touched on the cycle of enshittification. Step 1, everything is free and wonderful. Step 2: milk those customers for money.

The solution is to favor and support services which take capitalism out of the equation. It might cost a little bit, but I think a few small donations can go a long way.

• Muffi@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Yea, I immediately stopped using it after the CEO’s horrifying speech at the “Protecting Children Online” hearing.

• rimjob_rainer
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

It’s a closed system owned by a single company. If you provide data or information there, the company owns the data, other people can’t find the data using search engines and they would need an account to access the data. Imagine the internet is owned by a single company and they could sell, change, censor, delete restrict access to or use the information in means you cannot predict.

• dubyakay@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

It’s a closed ecosystem. What else is there to say?Compare Contrast with IRC, Matrix or XMPP.

• morphballganon@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

So, it’s the lack of admin rights? Inability to decide your own sitewide TOS, lack of privacy from Discord admins, possibility of getting shut down, that’s what they meant?

(I’m not familiar with those other platforms)

• uin@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

None of those details really matter.

What matters for the point of this argument is the simple fact that Discord is owned by the company Discord Inc.

That includes all of the servers and everything on them.

Imagine if ALL OF THE INTERNET was owned by Google …

• Thirdborne@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                2 months ago

More than that. They own the content and relationships and can use them in ways you cannot predict. LLMs gobble up human produced content because we entrusted it to corporations. What hit hardest for me was when Facebook published a study where they found they could influence users attitude by prioritizing certain posts in their feeds.

Imagine it. Corporations owning your relationships and using them to get a profit out of you