President Joe Biden and first lady Dr. Jill Biden earned $619,976 in 2023, according to their joint tax returnreleased by the White House on Monday – the deadline date for Americans to file their taxes.

The White House also released the return for Vice President Kamala Harris and second gentleman Doug Emhoff, showing that pair made $450,299 last year.

“President Biden believes that all occupants of the Oval Office should be open and honest with the American people,” the White House said in a statement on Monday, “and that the longstanding tradition of annually releasing presidential tax returns should continue unbroken.”

That statement could be seen as a dig at former President Donald Trump, who declined to voluntarily release his tax returns while he was president. Six years of Trump’s tax returns, including from his time as president, were released to the public by the House Ways and Means Committee at the end of 2022.

The bulk of the Bidens’ income came from President Biden’s congressionally mandated $400,000 salary, along with pensions. The first lady also earned $85,985 from her position as a teacher at Northern Virginia Community College.

• Tolookah
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

You know what’s disgusting? 85k salary for a teacher. Teachers need more.

• WeirdGoesPro@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Way more than my mom was paid as a teacher. She climbed the ranks for 20 years until retiring relatively recently, and barely broke 70 in all that time.

• TowardsTheFuture@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Oh boy don’t look at Florida’s teacher salaries then. (Or whatever hell holes are the 2 states lower than us)

• iheartneopets@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Cries in Oklahoma. I’m hearing from other locals that, since we’re losing so many teachers, some classes are being combined into gymnasiums with 120 kids to 1 teacher. Fuck Governor Stitt and his goon Ryan Walters.

• Pacmanlives@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I would like to know where to be to make that kind of money. My partner with a masters, just started making low 60s and we live in the highest paying district in the state. Avg home price is 575,188 and they have 70k in. No wonder we can buy here and stay here

• theneverfox@pawb.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I mean, in general, sure? It’s a very expensive area, 100k is middle class even with the public servant housing programs they run

It’s community college though - is she teaching a class a week or full time?

I’m more concerned about elementary school teachers being sucked dry for $55-75k with higher degrees ( that’s 10k up from what it was a decade ago… I hope I’m way under but I’m probably over)

• idiomaddict@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Yeah, I’m assuming she’s pretty highly paid in comparison to her coworkers, but community colleges don’t pay especially well.

Ideally community colleges can get specialized funding so they can pay their workers adequately without raising prices.

• Tolookah
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

I know, I can be annoyed without it being in their control.

• TigrisMorte@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

But you see the point of the article is to get folk thinking about the inequity and blame the President. Thus, while you didn’t take the bait, you are circling the hook and paying attention.

• Tolookah
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 months ago

Next complaint: they make that much and get public housing? Wtf? (/s)

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              2 months ago

relevance to the issue being discussed is the problem. not the other, utterly unrelated to anything involved in this thread, issue folks insist upon attempting to derail this thread with.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

incorrect. the assumption is implied from the headline and while no that was not the comment’s intent it is playing along none the less.

• Cows Look Like Maps@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

You’re saying Tolookah is “playing along” with an “implied assumption” [that you made] from the headline.

So they still never said that Biden directly pays teachers. You made an assumption about a headline and are forcing it as a strawman argument.

There’s need to be condescending and dismissive, it makes it unpleasant to have discussions online.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              2 months ago

No, I did not say that. In fact I explicitly state that was not their intent. Please desist in lying.

• Cows Look Like Maps@sh.itjust.works
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                2 months ago

I explicitly state that was not their intent.

I don’t know what to say… It’s clear that you’re either trolling at this point or just very toxic. Blocked.

• Goku@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

$85k for teacher seems reasonable in my opinion, especially considering how much time they get off during the year.

I thought it was much lower than that.

That said, I would love to see them make more than that. However, teaching is a fulfilling and rewarding job, and a lot of people do it for that reason. That makes it a competitive job market, and that’s probably why salaries are low.

• 4am@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

You think teachers just vacation when they’re not in class, how cute

• KevonLooney@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

First of all, she’s a college professor not a “teacher”.

Second, teachers at lower levels are leaving the profession. There’s not enough teachers for the roles right now. It’s not rewarding anymore.

• KevonLooney@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

Sounds like she works at a stingy university, and is probably not also the President’s wife.

• funkless_eck@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 months ago

higher educational recruitment is a mess. She gets a daily email digest of jobs, there have been 2 in the last 5 years she could’ve applied to with better rates of pay, but both were very rural and away from friends and family by thousands of miles