• @unexposedhazard
    link
    edit-2
    13 days ago

Im on board with both of these things. But if you try to invalidate peoples small victories with larger issues, that they have no direct control over, for no good reason, they will rightfully dislike you.

• @joostjakob@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      4113 days ago

You do have direct control over fisheries as much as you do over straws. But indeed, don’t invalidate. Say “if you like X, you might also want to do Y which has an even greater impact”

• @unexposedhazard
        link
        edit-2
        13 days ago

Direct control = if i could decide that the fishing boat doesnt go out tomorrow or how they do their fishing

Indirect control = i decide not to eat fish

You also only have indirect control over plastic straw production, but my point wasnt the “control over” part but the “let people have their small victories” part. If you actively harass people for doing good things, they will stop doing good things.

• @bountygiver@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          413 days ago

in this case quite a number of people would want plastic straws back because the paper straws has been bringing a significantly worse experience. So yeah they do want this good thing to stop.

• slurpyslop
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            13 days ago

Do I have “direct control” over the US government because I can withhold my vote come election day?

• @Evkob@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              1213 days ago

Not much, admittedly, but not eating seafood does a heck of a lot more than not using straws.

• slurpyslop
                link
                fedilink
                edit-2
                13 days ago

not eating seafood does a heck of a lot more than not using straws

which isn’t a justification for trying to invalidate a small victory

• slurpyslop
                link
                fedilink
                edit-2
                13 days ago

a “small victory” doesn’t imply a direct, tangible impact

“direct control over” does

you’re comparing two things when the point of the original comment is literally that you shouldn’t compare them good job

• @jol
      link
      712 days ago

I can control the use and manufacture of straws as much as I can the use of plastic nets in fishing. I can reject straws and not eat fish, thus marginally reducing demand for both.

• @Pilferjinx@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      413 days ago

The straws are a win, a very very small win that we just stopped at. It’s like we just said “mission accomplished” while tossing an empty plastic cup into the bin.