• TheFinn
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Roe was in trouble when McConnell blocked Obama’s supreme court nominee. It was lost when Trump packed it with cronies.

Or do you just like pretending you don’t know how government works?

• qaopjlll [he/him]@hexbear.net
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

That was for lower court nominations. If there was a way for the Senate minority party to stop a supreme court nominee from being confirmed then the Republicans would’ve used it to prevent Biden’s pick from getting through.

• qaopjlll [he/him]@hexbear.net
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                2 months ago

Ah that’s my bad, I thought we were just talking Trump’s supreme court picks. I’m not sure what they could’ve done to slow that process down though for lower courts, Republicans in the current Senate were only able to slow down confirmations temporarily after Diane Feinstein starting shitting out her doodoo ass too much to attend the hearings. My point being that establishment Dems give us plenty of legitimate ammunition to highlight their uselessness/malfeasance, so it’s counterproductive to call them out for things that they don’t have any real control over.

• Alaskaball [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

When the institutionally reactionary supreme court blocked any attempt of FDR’s resuscitation of the American economy, FDR unilaterally threatened to destroy their chokehold on “legality” by proposing to reorganize the federal judiciary by adding a new justice each time a justice reached age 70 and failed to retire.

You know what happened? The supreme court immediately capitulated to FDR, and he went on to beat everyone who went against the interests of the American working class over the head until they fell into line.

Biden could right now threaten expand the seats of the justices by two seats, soon three in two months when Sotomayor turns 70, to ensure Roe, or literally anything the mealy-mouth not-remotely democratic party pantomime its support for becomes the law of the land

But they won’t because they serve the same fucking interests of the capitalist class and are equal enemies to the American working class, alongside the workers and oppressed people of the world, as the goddamn republicans

• BynarsAreOk [none/use name]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

The point is not that these events happened, but rather that the Dems refused to do anything to counter them. Apparently and rather conveniently only Republicans have the power to interfere and get what they want huh.

You’re right its interesting and perhaps Dems should definitely learn more about how it works lol.

• NewLeaf [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Soooo like, why should anyone support democrats if they won’t do anything about anything? Please explain to me how the government works cause I’m just a big poo poo head Russian bot

• MayoPete [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

"Listen, Jack. I’m going to pocket veto everything that gets passed until a bill to Codify Roe is on my desk. I don’t care if it’s military funding, funds for Israel, whatever.

Also for any states that are considering passing bans that go beyond Roe, I will be issuing executive orders to cut off all federal funding to your areas. Your highways can rot. No more red state welfare!"

~Biden in an alternate universe where Democrats have a fucking spine

• TC_209 [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

I was going to vote for Biden but now I won’t because you acted with such brutal incivility. This is the most important election of our lives; democracy itself is on the ballot and you are turning people away from the polls before they’ve even opened. You are handing Trump the keys to the White House; you are ushering in the dark tide of fascism. Enjoy the next election, you have made it our last.