Wanted to ask you about this article, how do you remember the early days of the internet (I was sadly too young at that time). Do you wish it back? And do you think it can ever be like that again? I would be very interested

• AttackBunny@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I totally don’t miss all the flashing shit, and awful music on every site. Nor do I miss super long load times, but I do miss the more personal feeling. I also miss feeling like every click wasn’t someone trying to get me to give them my money, or steal my info. Don’t get me wrong, there were toxic parts of the internet back then, but I feel like its everywhere now.

Oh, and I’ll never miss that dial up sound, or dropping because someone picked the phone up. I also know popups and ads existed back then, but I feel like every site I go to now, I spend at least 45 seconds trying (often unsuccessfully) to close all the pop up and ads, just to attempt to read an article. Of course more pop up if you scroll to keep reading too.

Basically, I mostly agree with the article.

• Pazintach
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Someone picked up the phone. My whole image that I waited for so long ruined! Had to painfully reload it again. I miss the time browser cache was treasured.