want to share something that you don’t think deserves it’s own thread? wanna chill with your trans homies? wanna support your trans comrades? do it here!

• ashinadash [she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

So I had a cis person ask if transfemme periods are considered to be a side effect of HRT. While I think this is incredibly stupid and weird and offensive coming from a cis person… I’m actually kind of interested philosophically, I guess.

I want the opinions of the Smart Fuckers in this thread. I don’t expect that cramps and moodswings are a desired objective of hormone replacement, but I also know that a great many of us feel validated by the presence of them. Idk how to respond to such a question fully.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

The amount of skub I’m seeing on this is kind of disappointing, seriously more education is needed

But sort of, the direct wording was “Wouldn’t that be more akin to side effects of HRT, rather than a period?” Really bizarre and terrible, I instantly regret bringing this up

• silent_water [she/her]@hexbear.netOPM
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          8 months ago

idk, what else do you call abdominal cramps and mood swings each month? is it an effect of HRT? yes. but if you think cis femme periods aren’t also hormonal and are somehow magically different, you’re just a trabsphobe.

• kristina [she/her]@hexbear.netM
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Nah it’s def a period. It being side effects is a little weird, like saying it’s a side effect of being a woman? It’s normal operation

• artificialset [she/her, fae/faer]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

I’ve had cis girls in the past tell me I’m lucky I don’t have a period, which I always have to explain isn’t the compliment they think it is lol. i think there’s definitely benefits to having your body more in line with how it would be without the need for HRT - with that said I think it’s a major upgrade that I can’t get pregnant 😌

that said I don’t think transfem periods are an actual thing tbh, tho I’ve read mixed things

• SnowySkyes [she/her]@hexbear.netM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        8 months ago

Y’know, it’s really tough sometimes. I get my period every 3 weeksish. Sometimes it is mild. Other times, it is the most miserable 4-5 days on the planet. I’m pissy, have mood swings, dysphoric, depressive, have really bad stomach cramps, and activates the hell out of my IBS. So while it is an affirming thing for me, it genuinely shuts me down for 4-5 days every 3 weeks. So yes, while I do wish every transgirl could have it, I hope that they don’t get it even half as bad as I do since it eats up like 30% of my life now.

I do wish I could get pregnant though. At least it would make getting this worth it. aubrey-cry-1

• Ideology [she/her]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

There are people who manipulate prog and E doses to simulate a period every month, but otherwise your blood levels should follow a set pattern. What’s more likely is experiencing symptoms of changing hormone levels throughout the day/week, as you’ll often have a spike immediately after taking your dose with a tail that slowly approaches zero until you take your next one.

• Cromalin [she/her]@hexbear.netM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

yeah this is an interesting philosophical question. it’s all a matter of perspective really, if you are informed of the effects and consider it part and parcel of transition than i don’t think it’s a side effect. but like, if you think “no i should just be able to take the hormones and make my body more like i wish it to be without having a period” than i think it’s a side effect

basically i agree with @lilypad@hexbear.net

• lilypad [she/her, undecided]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

Im not a Smart Fucker™ but to me this is all in the purpose of HRT; one takes a medication for its effect(s). Effects besides the main or intended effect(s) are therefore side effects. So to me it depends on the philisophical view of HRT that the specific trans woman or transfemme person has. E.g. I view HRT as giving my body what it needs in a holistic manner. To me, the period symptoms are a part of that. A frustrating part to be sure (i just had a couple days of possible hypomania followed by some days of intense mood swings, and idk if its a mental health thing or not because it landed at the perfect point in my cycle), but a part nonetheless. But for someone who views it differently, they may very well see the period symptoms as side effects because they are undesireable and not their intent for the medication.

Hopefully one of those Smart Fuckers will chime in, Im curious what others think about this.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        8 months ago

I think this is a Smart Fucker answer, I hadn’t even really thought about personal subjectivity in terms of what qualifies a side effect quite this way(autism). Thank you!! transshork-happy