link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

Is it based on the footprint?

I drive a small SUV (by US standards). It takes up less space than some sedans.

• usualsuspect191@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

Interesting that the limit is different for electric vehicles. I guess they tend to be heavier so it’s sort of unavoidable, but it does potentially set up an imbalance that will need to be corrected at some point in the future. Of course, for now it’s more important to convert as many vehicles to EVs as possible.

Not knowing how they get taxes for their roadways there, but in many places it’s from fuel taxes which obviously EVs don’t pay, and they’re heavier too so even harder on the roads so the tax structure will need some rethinking whenever that tipping point is reached. Hopefully it’s done in a way that doesn’t eliminate the cost benefits of running an EV.

• Franklin@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          4 months ago

Batteries are heavy, while weight is a major contributor to road damage (and therefore societal cost) I believe it is more than offset by the reduction in emissions.

The difference in weight limit helps insure electric sedans aren’t ruled out due to battery weight alone.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

Wait, did I phrase things incorrectly maybe? You seem to be just restating what I wrote as if it’s a different point

• Franklin@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              4 months ago

It’s a response to your specific point about future imbalance and why this specific law won’t cause that.

As for your point in taxation of fuel I imagine it will change to additional taxation of energy.

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                4 months ago

The law specifically causes the imbalance right now though, so now I’m extra confused. It’s not some predicted possible future, it’s about as immediate and direct as it gets. They’ve accounted for the fact the same vehicle as an EV is heavier, which is probably the best way to do this sort of thing as you don’t want to discourage people from switching to greener options. I was pointing out the imbalance and then speculating on what it might mean in the future.

An extra tax on energy would be one way to do it, although I would personally prefer something directly tied to driving so that people are encouraged to use alternatives when they can.

• walden@sub.wetshaving.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

Still a weird thing to do. My SUV, according to the internet, weighs between 1.63 and 1.70 metric tonnes (3,603 to 3,755 lbs). A sedan from the same brand and trim level weighs between 1.67 and 1.73 metric tonnes (3,676 to 3,816 lbs). Granted, sedans in the US are larger than what are sold in Europe, so they probably used cars sold there to come up with the weights.