• bigFab@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

I came down the comment section searching for exactly this kind of argumentation. Thank you!

• nexusband@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Yes! Fuck them! Wait…what? Why can’t i park my Peugeot e-308 there? WHAT? No! That’s not an SUV! Well…it’s 1759 Kg and therefore an SUV. This rule is utter stupidity.

• p1mrx@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

1.6 tonnes with a combustion engine or hybrid vehicles, and more than 2 tonnes for electric vehicles

There might be silly examples to find, but yours isn’t one of them.

I would look for cases where moving from petrol to hybrid pushes you over the limit. I think they should be measuring size and fuel efficiency, rather than weight.

• Snapz@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

“But that will make it cost prohibitive to own an SUV!!!”

Yes… Yes it will.

• MonsterMonster@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Not for those who can afford 100k+ to buy it in the first place. There will be some who see this as a further requirement to show the world that they are rich enough to belong to an exclusive club.

• veni_vedi_veni@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

This whole vehicular size arms race needs to go away please.

It’s so retarded that people think they need to get bigger cars to “protect” themselves in accidents. Just feedback looping stupidity.

• orrk@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

already exists, armed with variety of lethal and non-lethal defense systems, up-armoured to take on anything short of 30mmAP rounds

• afraid_of_zombies@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

Makes sense. The guy openly carrying weapons with the look of he is dying to use them clearly gets into less problems then the guy who doesn’t attract any attention to himself. You really want to be threatening people by just being there, that will definitely work out well for you. That’s why I carry around a matchet and scream at random people to back off

• Kwozyman@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

But how will the other people know I have money if my car isn’t huge?

The protection argument has some merit, though. I remember seeing several studies that show survival rates are bigger for the SUV inhabitants in crashes. What SUV drivers don’t know (or simply don’t care about) is that it’s survival in the detriment of smaller cars inhabitants.

• veni_vedi_veni@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

Poor crash compatibility, and for reasons to do with chicken imports from Europe in the past (Not just bikes covers this), light trucks have less regulation in NA compared to cars, incentivizing the manufacturers to push them into consumers as well.

It’s shittiness all round and government is like that cat from the “bachelorette woman crying” meme.

• Kekzkrieger@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

While this is great, someone who doesnt mind paying a 100k for a car wont mind the extra fees.

What would really change the game is changing existing parking spaces to fixed size parking spaces and if your over that you get towed.

That would mean they have to park their car somewhere more remote which would incentisize not buying huge cars to begin with

• EatATaco@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

I can’t speak for Parisians, but here in the us my experience is that it’s the people who drove the big cars who bitch the most about the price of gas.

So the added cost would definitely be a disincentive.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.worldM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

There’s a ridiculous thing in the US that Europeans probably don’t know about called “rolling coal,” where people in big pickup trucks that they never use for hauling anything because it would scrape the bed modify their truck to belch out a huge cloud of black smoke on demand.

I have a Prius. They love doing it to me, because of course a hybrid that still uses gas must mean that I’m one-a them commie tree-hugging hippies. They probably pay as much in gas to do it once as it would take to get my car to go 5-10 miles. And they’re the ones putting Biden ‘I did that’ stickers next to gas pumps when gas prices go up.

Hey rednecks, you know what you have to do to not worry much about gas prices? Buy a fuel-efficient car.

• GreatAlbatross@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

It’s a gentle nudge.
      If you’re picking a car, and didn’t think about it very much, something like paying more for parking might well nudge you to a smaller car.
      And it means when those 100k cars go on the second hand market for 20k a few years later, the people paying that much will not be happy with the fees.

On a slight tangent, range rovers are being targeted by criminals. To the point where RR ups the security, and it’s worked around in a month or so.
      This has lead to insurance premiums going way up. And while there are a few people just choking down the payments, others are switching away from RR, or from SUVs entirely.
      It doesn’t put every customer off, but it certainly affects a chunk.

• FlorianSimon@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Not saying this is what you’re saying, but the average french SUV doesn’t cost 100k. In-laws bought one almost new for 15k. They’re not poor, but definitely not rich, and would think twice about buying one next time if it means they pay more for parking.

• Moonrise2473@feddit.it
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

15k seems like a Dacia Duster. That isn’t considered a SUV according to the limits of that law (1400 kg)

It’s more to limit those useless monsters like the range Rovers

• anivia@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

15k for an almost new SUV? I think you are probably confusing a CUV with an SUV

• FlorianSimon@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

15k € used. The (french) car dealer called the car a SUV, but I’ll admit I’m not an expert.

But even if you call that something different, there aren’t a lot of 100k SUVs in France, I can tell you that.

• Obi@sopuli.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

French people will drive a 20 year old kangoo and be proud of it. I know because that is me.

• ExLisper@linux.community
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

While this is great, someone who doesnt mind paying a 100k for a car wont mind the extra fees.

Not just that, it removes the… let’s call it ‘shame factor’. Some people that would feel bad about driving big, polluting cars in the city now will feel perfectly justified: they are paying extra for the privilege. This will not reduce the number of cars and likely will increase it. It’s simply a bad policy. As you said, number of parking spots for big cars should be reduced each year putting greater and greater pressure on the owners to get rid of them.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

and if your over that you get towed.

A neighbor of mine who was a 60 something year old accountant got one of those oversized pickups and managed to block my space multiple times since he couldn’t angle it in correctly.

• Halcyon
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

This special tariff is aimed at visitors’ cars, residents are excluded and remain unaffected, as are tradesmen and care services. So most Parisians don’t care.

• soggy_kitty@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Ah yes, as an Englishman I can wholeheartedly agree making decisions on minor majorities is a fantastic idea, right guys?

• GiddyGap@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Well, people always have a tendency to not show up to vote and then complain about the results.

• wheeldawg@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Suck it, SUV owners in Paris.

But really, suck it every SUV owner. They’re terrible in every single way and no one can change that.

• Malfeasant@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

As an SUV owner, I agree. It tries to do too many things, so it’s not good at any of them. When we had kids, I wanted a minivan. They’re ugly, they don’t get good gas mileage, their handling is like a pregnant yak- but if you need to haul around kids and their stuff, there’s nothing better. My wife at least considered it, but we ended up with a hybrid SUV. I don’t completely hate it, but I still would rather have gotten a minivan.

• AnalogyAddict@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

I have a compact SUV (CR-V.) It gets good gas mileage and has enough room for my very large dogs. Some people have reasons, just a lot of people don’t.

I’d like to see a tax on ego trucks first.

• soggy_kitty@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Good luck defining what is and isn’t an SUV and try to enforce parking restrictions based on that.

Companies will just define their own classes to avoid this unless there is a solid measurement in either dimension or weight. If it’s weight then they will be destroyed by the media for being anti-EV and if it’s size then the whole SUV argument goes out the window

For example is Audi A8 not an SUV but Ford Puma is?

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

Total outside dimensions. If it takes up more space than the typical economy car it pays the high tax. Since you seem a bit pedantic I will define it exactly:

Take the vehicle and put it in water, use weights if needed to submerge it. Measure the displaced water. If that value is above that if a typical economy car it pays a higher tax. Economy car is defined as the what an average of a poll of randomly selected people defined it to be in 2024.

• nexusband@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Comments from @wheeldawg@sh.itjust.works are terrible in every single way and no one can change that! Good stuff, the fact that Paris classifies everything above 1,6 tonnes as an SUV, so that put’s even a measly Peugeot e-308 in that cateogry. But it’s a compact BEV! Still weighs 1759 Kg.

• DigitalFrank@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Easiest vote in the world is to vote to raise someone else’s taxes. We should do that for billionaires.

• Ann Archy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

Not just “someone” else’s. SUV owners’. Specifically. For a good reason.

• moitoi@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Actually, in Paris, if you own an SUV or drive one in the city, you’re rich. Poorer can’t afford one and even a car is too expensive. It’s already a tax on the rich.

For more taxes on the wealth, it’s up to the national government and it’s a complete different story.

• fine_sandy_bottom
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Wait, they banned electric scooter rentals?

Is the main argument that they’re unsightly?

• FuglyDuck@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

So, I’m pretty sure they’re talking about the rental-scooters, not all scooters, which, peopel who tend to buy their own don’t do these things… but…people get hurt on them, they increase accidents. People do stupid shit, like riding on sidewalks and trying to zip through pedestrians.

they get locked up all over the place, blocking sidewalks, entryways, bikeracks, etc.

in short the rental things are a massive nuisance,

• exocortex
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

I’d like to add that Paris is one of the tightest cities there is in Europe. there’s just so little space already. with thousands of badly parked scooters cluttering up sidewalks people got fed up very quickly. the vote was pretty one sided IIRC.

• n2burns@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          5 months ago

AFAIK, the main issue wasn’t where they’re used but where they’re stored. While scooters riding on sidewalks is an issue, the bigger issue is them cluttering the sidewalk and becoming an impedance to pedestrians, especially those with disabilities.

• fine_sandy_bottom
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

Interesting. I’ve seen this where I live, rental scooters just littering the sidewalk.

I wonder, whether personally-owned scooters will become more prevalent if rentals aren’t available.

I guess personally-owned scooters are going to be parked more responsibly rather than just left wherever.

• variants@possumpat.io
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              5 months ago

I see a lot of people where I live riding around on scooters but haven’t seen the rental ones here like in bigger cities so I guess personally owned do become more popular if you can’t rent

• ChrisLicht@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

The performance envelopes of vehicles sharing bike lanes these days are wildly different. I dread the day that RTO is complete, and rush-hour bike lanes are shared by e-bikes, e-unicycles, one-wheels, push scooters, e-standup-scooters, smaller sit-scooters, monkey bikes, e-skateboards, skateboards, and whatever else I’m missing.

• Pepsi@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            edit-2
            5 months ago

so instead of that one rule, you think it’s better to have a different rule?

• fine_sandy_bottom
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            5 months ago

Well… yes ?

I mean there will always be people that break the rules but in my experience once something becomes a law, like smoking in certain areas or whatever, people tend to follow the rules.

• NOSin@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              5 months ago

The rule already exists, living in the suburbs and working in Paris, I can tell you that they ended up forbidding them because a lot of people weren’t using them on the road.

• fine_sandy_bottom
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Wouldn’t this apply to both rented and personally-owned scooters though?

Getting rid of the rentals might reduce the number temporarily, but doesn’t really seem to solve the problem.

• FuglyDuck@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

most people who buy their own don’t leave it out on the street, and (while I’m not in paris…) my experience is they also tend to be more responsible about it. like riding while sober, wearing helmets, and being in the bike lane (or wherever they’re supposed to be)

• fine_sandy_bottom
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            5 months ago

Yeah I think you’re dead right there.

The rental scooters do seem to bring out the worst in people, or maybe they just tend to hilight people’s general disrespect for “things” particularly those which do not belong to them.

People will always take care of their own stuff better than someone else’s.

Edit: I’ve also noticed that people aren’t using them that much where I live. They were all over the place for a minute, but now don’t see them very much.

• SlopppyEngineer@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          5 months ago

It gets rid of all the unused rental scooters lying around on the sidewalk, and that was seen as the biggest nuisance. Privately owned scooters will never reach the same height of scooter littering.

The rental scooter companies were unwilling or unable to deal with the issue. They were warned that this was becoming an issue.

• fine_sandy_bottom
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

Privately owned scooters will never reach the same height of scooter littering.

Perhaps not scooter “littering” but surely just numbers of personal transport devices.

That is to say, if no other form of transport existed, then the presence of rental scooters would surely mean that there were fewer scooters in total and thereby fewer scooters parked on the sidewalk.

• xmunk@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

Someone who owns their own scooter is more likely to know local laws on where not to scoot - and if they don’t they can more easily be fined and learn them. Tourists rarely understand local traffic laws and, while you can fine them, they’ll leave next week and then a new tourist will arrive that also lacks that knowledge.

• xmunk@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              5 months ago

It’s surprisingly difficult! Do you think you can turn right on a red in Provence? Would you remember to double check all your assumptions before going on vacation? Would your muscle memory fail you?

There are a truly staggering number of stories of people getting on the highway the wrong way or going into the wrong lane at an intersection when driving in the UK - there’s so many laws and habits we learn to operate in our society… and those aren’t the same everywhere.

• fine_sandy_bottom
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                5 months ago

Well yes, and yet even with these lapses you mention our cities are not in eternal pandemonium.

Laws, signage, design of street scapes et cetera, all contribute to homogenising behaviour.

• theneverfox@pawb.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

If you own it, presumably you’ve spent more time using it, meaning you both look and drive in a more controlled manner

• SheeEttin@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

The biggest issue I’ve heard is that people tend to leave them lying all over the place, blocking doors, gates, sidewalks, etc.

And I’m not sure how that’s such a big issue. In Boston, we have Blue Bikes, which is a similar bicycle rental program, but you have to return them to a dock or you get charged hundreds of dollars to replace it because it’s considered lost. Surely they could do something similar with the scooters. (I guess the current model is just “leave it wherever and the next person can rent it from there”?)

I also didn’t bother reading the article, but given this is Europe, I assume they’re referring to Vespa-type scooters, not electric Razor-type. Vespas would be harder to do like this but not impossible. Electric Razors would be a lot better for everyone, I think. I know I would prefer them.for quick getarounds.

• fine_sandy_bottom
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Yeah. There seems to be innumerable ways to encourage people to park the scooters sensibly. A dock is one idea but it’s not really necessary IMO, and does reduce the utility. You could just have a parking inspector, even one employed by the scooter hire company. You get charged 3x your trip fee if the inspector finds your scooter parked inappropriately or something.

This article is def talking about the little electric scooters.

• lolcatnip@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

This thread was weird to read as an owner of a CR-V. I checked and it’s just under the weight limit for the new law, and it fits easily in “compact” parking spaces, but I think of it as an SUV because that’s what it looks like.

• OneWomanCreamTeam@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

At least in the US they call them crossovers, unless they’re on a truck chassis, then it’s an SUV.

This distinction isn’t really common parlance or anything, but it usually is how the manufacturers call them.

• bassad@jlai.lu
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Yes it is aimed against heavy and large suv, as they are more dangerous for other road users, more polluting and take too much of public place in a cramped city.

A CR-V and other “normal” suv does not take more place than a sedan

• EatATaco@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I drive a crv and have always known it as a crossover. Although funny that you mention compact spots, I looked it up one time to see if a crv counts and it does count as compact. Never the less I had a guy scold me for parking in the spot one time. His sedan definitely had a bigger foot print and he was right on the line, while I was comfortably in the middle of the spot.

I just looked down at the line between our cars and kind of raised my eyebrow at him while pointing out my car is smaller than his.

• Moonrise2473@feddit.it
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

This limit needs to be instituted at a country level.

For example now that the Volkswagen up/Skoda citigo/seat Mii has been put out of production, there isn’t a single car made by all the brands of the Volkswagen group that’s shorter than 4 meters.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

In a referendum on Sunday, which was closely watched by other capital cities, including London, 54.6% voted in favour of special parking fees for SUVs, according to provisional results.

“Parisians have made a clear choice … other cities will follow,” said Paris’s Socialist mayor, Anne Hidalgo, adding that road safety and air pollution were key reasons for the vote.

She said the aim was to deliberately target the richest drivers of expensive, heavy and polluting cars who had not yet made changes to their behaviour to address the climate crisis.

Emmanuel Grégoire, Paris’s deputy mayor, posted on X as voting began: “Heavier, more dangerous, more polluting … SUVs are an environmental disaster.”

Under Hidalgo, Paris has for years raised pressure on drivers by increasing parking costs and gradually banning diesel vehicles, while expanding the bicycle lane network in the congested capital.

The motorists’ lobby group 40 Millions d’Automobilistes had argued that drivers should be free to choose whatever vehicle they want, warning that the move to raise parking tariffs was unjustified and the work of “an ultra-urban and anti-car minority”.

The original article contains 540 words, the summary contains 180 words. Saved 67%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• maynarkh@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

I think with votes like this, especially with the low turnout, it just shows most people don’t really care because they don’t feel directly impacted one way or another. The people that feel impacted negatively by SUVs slightly outnumber people who feel impacted negatively by increased parking prices. That’s the result.

• Halcyon
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

This law is aimed at visitors’ cars, so residents of Paris are excluded from the higher tariffs and remain unaffected.

• mightyfoolish@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

It’s not a landslide but it’s pretty clear which side one. Now 50.1% could be a rounding error.

• ginerel@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

Well, those who did not vote are complacent to the majority vote. So I’d say that’s a win.

Always go out there and vote, regardless of the option you choose. That’s what keeps a democratic system up and running. If you don’t, you just agree with what is decided by others and stay complacent.