Up until yesterday, this problem didn’t exist but today when I was connected to a VPN, I couldn’t post either a text or image post. I got this error: SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected character at line 1 column 1 of the JSON data

After I disconnected from my VPN, the error went away. What gives?

• Scrubbles@poptalk.scrubbles.tech
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Not an admin of lemmy.world, but have been dealing with a lot of the same crap recently.

Users have been uploading CSAM material behind VPNs. That sort of material can get any of our lemmy instances taken down and us admins are personally liable.

So in short, those very few ruined it for everyone else. My instance also now blocks vpns and tor networks.

• ichimokuclown@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

When connected to my VPN, which I am as much as possible, I can not vote, save posts or comment (presumably I can’t post either) on lemmy.world. I can understand the admins’ motivations given recent troubles, but it isn’t a reasonable, privacy-considerate solution.

• Dr. Wesker@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

With zero context, that error doesn’t look intentional, let alone targeted at VPN users. I believe it is the result of a malformed JSON payload.