this is the first time in many years of my GNU/Linux journey that I saw a BSOD. on my office machine BTW. personal machine has never crashed even once.
the crash was due to 100% RAM and swap usage.

image description:
a mobile-clicked photo of a laptop screen. the background is full black with a sad computer image in the middle. the text below it reads: “Oh no! something has gone wrong. A problem has occurred and the system can’t recover. Please log out and try again.”
just below it is a small button with the text “log out”

• @OsrsNeedsF2P@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    303 months ago

100% RAM is a huge pain on Linux. I have a widget in my taskbar that always shows my RAM usage so I can tell if I’m about to get doinked

• @grue@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        133 months ago

Up until yesterday I would’ve said “Firefox” (because I hoard tabs), but it turns the real answer was “Firefox running as a Snap.”

(A failed update screwed up my Snap installation, which finally gave me the kick I needed to quit procrastinating and excise it from my system once and for all. I’m running Firefox installed via apt package from Mozilla’s PPA, and now – with the same number of tabs open – my system is hovering around 8 GB memory usage, when before it was constantly bouncing off the 32 GB redline.)

• @PainInTheAES@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          23 months ago

Firefox somewhat regularly crashes or freezes up my laptop (16Gb) due to memory usage and I’m running the default Arch package. I ended up installing a memory watchdog that kills processes when they start using too much. Although I do hoard tabs.

• @OsrsNeedsF2P@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        3 months ago

Carelessly running too many programs and not having much RAM.

When I get my Framework 16, I’ll either get 64 or 128GBs of RAM. It’s so cheap nowadays, the only thing stopping me from getting more is simply the increased time to go to sleep and wake up.

• The Stoned Hacker
            link
            fedilink
            53 months ago

Yeah i only get near 100% when I’m doing a lot of virtualization or running nyx for a long time since there’s a memory leak in there.

• The Stoned Hacker
                link
                fedilink
                23 months ago

Not unstable nor unreliable, just a bit buggy. Every so often you gotta do a quick qq to exit and wait up to 5 minutes for it to let go of the ram. On occasion I’ve had to terminate the process as it was doing something wacky.

• Possibly linux
          link
          fedilink
          English
          23 months ago

I have 16 GB and it feels like a lot. I run virtual machines and I still have leftovers

• @squid_slime@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          13 months ago

You know your in for a good time when notepad give a warning before hand, ive run into this before filling my 32gb of ram.

• exu
      link
      fedilink
      English
      13 months ago

There are automated memory killers that should avoid this. I’m using nohang, but systemd also has some module for this.

• @lemmesayOP
      link
      English
      13 months ago

same! I have a nice icon next to it on my i3 status bar.

• @acockworkorange@mander.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          13 months ago

Technically you can create a fixed size pagefile in your disk and mount it as swap workout repartitioning. But Linux doesn’t use swap much regardless of method.

• Possibly linux
            link
            fedilink
            English
            13 months ago

It only uses swap under memory pressure. You can configure your swappyness if you want it to be more aggressive

• @SteveTech@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    283 months ago

The cool part is, the kernel and most of the user space is still running fine, so there’s no restart required (although I would anyway), it’s just gnome is having issues.

I’ve had dodgy hardware cause a kernel panic, which is much more equivalent to a Windows BSOD.

• @lemmesayOP
      link
      English
      53 months ago

I think I made it work too much. i’m running 23.10(non-LTS), hadn’t shut it down for weeks, and was hoarding close to 200 tabs. furthermore, I had 3-4 electron-based applications open.

• @caseyweederman@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        63 months ago

That’s not a problem. Especially because modern tabs hibernate. Linux can go forever without restarting, to the point where there are multiple services cropping up that let you upgrade your kernel while it’s running, so you never have to reboot (mostly, in some edge cases it’s still recommended to reboot).

• @tomcatt360@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    93 months ago

Oooh, this blokes found a beauty! I haven’t seen one of those since I used an Eee PC with Debian as my daily driver. It has a whopping 1, I repeat, ONE GIGAbyte of RAM.

• @lemmesayOP
      link
      73 months ago

Debian is just rock solid. no matter if you use it on 1 or 16gb, it just doesn’t die.

• Possibly linux
      link
      fedilink
      English
      23 months ago

1 GB is fine for web browsing. Just make sure you have some swap and a SSD.

• @evidences@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    23 months ago

My very first experience with installing Ubuntu was a complete failure because I just got constant kernal panics. This was 2007ish trying to install Ubuntu on a bondi blue iMac using CD I had ordered from Canonical.

• @evidences@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        13 months ago

I’m still on windows on my dekstop, I have a handful of boxes running various forms of Linux but I’m mainly just here for the memes.

• tubbadu
          link
          fedilink
          13 months ago

Don’t let the differences divide us, let’s unite under the memes!

• @lemmesayOP
      link
      English
      53 months ago

should I be honoured or concerned that i’m being compared to AI? I wanted it to be descriptive.
      also, facebook has been generating alt text using AI for years now. you can see the same on unsplash.

• @_Atlas_@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    23 months ago

I literary had this problem today!!! What I did to fix, and I’m not sure which one of these it is, but I ran all of these and I got it to work again

sudo apt install --fix-broken

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo apt install --reinstall gnome

sudo apt install --reinstall xorg

sudo apt install --fix-missing

sudo apt autoremove