• bigkix@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

He is 85. What the fuck drives you besides greed and power to stay in Congress past your 70th? He will probably die in a couple of years, but still clings to this power trip with bare hands. Just illustrates how fucking greedy and corrupted that mf is.

• jonne@infosec.pub
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

The issue is seniority rules. You only get the real power (committee seats, etc) after you’ve been in the senate for decades. Giving that up is probably hard if you’ve spent decades climbing that ladder.

• Agent641@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Like go fishing, or whittle some shit on a porch. Youre gonna die soon and you want to spend your final days on the hill with the lizards and cockroaches?

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

I keep saying that the fact that Trump has made it to 77 is a testament to modern medical science.

• TheActualDevil@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Nah, his longevity is from decent genes and the fact that he’s never had to worry or stress about anything real his entire life. Poverty is the number one killer of Americans. The lack of access to healthcare, having to overwork your body and mind to make ends meet and the constant stress of wondering if your next paycheck will be enough to feed and house you and your loved ones is killer on the heart. Shitty people don’t live long lives because they’re shitty. It’s because they’re rich. IT just so happens, all rich people are also shitty people. But I’ve met some poor shitty people that die early because their heart just gives out from overwork.

• Techmaster@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

It’s like Eugenia Cooney. How is she still alive? How do you treat your body with absolute disdain and survive?

• S_204@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Mick Jagger just turned 80.

I eat pretty well, exercise daily and I doubt I’m making it that long…

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Even if we are going to continue to let the elderly rule us, an event like this should result in an instant resignation. But no, he has to claw onto the reins of power until they’re taken from his cold, dead hands.