• otp@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

My first exposure to this was Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast. My mind was blown.

• DacoTaco@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

As a teenager, learning how they did this on a technical level blew my mind a second time!

• 🔍🦘🛎@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Such a shame more games don’t use this. It worked for PSO because fights were relatively drawn out/telegraphed, so there was always a chance to build up/slow down the music.

I wonder if AI could get used to dynamically generate a transition between battle/overworld themes. Or at least, if the composer makes one and use AI to make all necessary versions.

• otp@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

I just remembered that the new Pokemon games (Scarlet/Violet) do this dynamic music thing too!

• Stamets@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal are probably the kings of this for me. Metal: Hellsinger too but that’s a rhythm fighting game

• Yukito01@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Nothing beats suddenly hearing the big monster’s theme morphing into Proof of a Hero when you are close to winning in Monster Hunter.

• makeshiftreaper@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

It’s kind of dumb but honestly fun as hell if you can find a working peripheral: DJ Hero honestly still rips. The music rocks and you can change the music on the fly

On a more accessible side Hades does a good job increasing in intensity as things get more chaotic

• The Assman@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Raphael’s Final Act from BG3

Probably the best track in any game considering the boss you’re fighting is literally singing it while beating your ass

• kebabslob@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Like a Dragon/Yakuza. Its not dynamically adaptive, but you definitely feel the soundtrack and they sync really well to fightsz. It also is synced perfectly to boss intros!

• rmuk@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Anyone else remember iMUSE in the old LucasArts games? I adored the CMI soundtrack.

• 🇰 🔵 🇱 🇦 🇳 🇦 🇰 ℹ️@yiffit.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

I actually dislike most adaptive game music because most games that use that term just use it for having combat music that swaps in dynamically when you’re near a hostile mob.

The games where the music is just a combination of things based on what’s going on, however, are fucking dope as hell. It’s not something I see (er… Hear) all that often though which is disappointing.

It’s awesome when you notice that you can affect the music that’s playing by jumping or doing specific attacks/actions or based on how many/what kind of enemies are around, etc and not just “the music is this now because you’re fighting.”

• woodgen@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I can very much recommend Tetris Effect in that matter. It is a musical experience with a different music piece for every stage. There are about 30 stages and each one rects differently to you rotating, dropping pieces and clearing lines or multiple lines.

• SuperSynthia@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

I like how the From Soft games are mostly no music, then the boss hits and it’s on full epic soundtrack

• 🔍🦘🛎@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Have you played Pikmin 2 or 3? Those use adaptive midi tracks based on what happens in boss fights/caves.