• hardypart@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I fucking hate Discord. It’s a walled garden. You need an account to see the content and you can’t google shit. It might be great for real time communication, but I can’t grasp how its usage has evolved beyond any of that.

• ebc@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Lexical (rich text editor by Facebook) recently “migrated” their Github discussions to Discord… I have a question that I can see was asked on the discussion, as it appears in my search results on DDG, but I get a 404 when I try to open it. The fuckers deleted the discussions!

Of course, Discord only has poor-quality answers to that questions as it gets asked every week and maybe gets answered in a different way every time. Quality of discussion is much lower.

• SokathHisEyesOpen@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

The fuckers deleted the discussions!

This is a very Facebook-like thing to do. They are openly hostile towards everyone, including their users and advertisers. Shit stain of a company that constantly makes the worst decisions.

• Kayn@dormi.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

It’s because a traditional forum has to be hosted by the project maintainer and then appeal to users enough for them to create an account there.

Compare that to Discord. Most users already have a Discord account and it’s relatively easy to set up a server on there. Plus it happens to be the communication tool for young people.

It makes sense, but it’s sad nonetheless.

• Square Singer@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

The problem is discoverability. And that’s where I don’t get why anyone in their right mind would use Discord for stuff like that.

Say, you have Github, a forum or even a subreddit for your project.

Somebody asks a question, you answer it.

Somebody else has the same question. Either they are intelligent enough to find it themselves or they ask and you just link your old answer. Done.

On Discord, it’s basically impossible to find an answer that is more than two screens full of posts ago. So you have to keep answering the very same questions all the time.

• hardypart@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

That’s the exact point. It’s not only that you can’t google shit, even within Discord itself it’s incredibly hard to find the relevant information. BTW, did I already say that I fucking hate Discord?

• Serinus@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

It’s great for real time discussion. It’s terrible for anything else.

It’s IRC, not a forum.

• AlexWIWA@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 months ago

I love discord… For my group of friends and communicating with other developers (internal project communication, not user communication.) It’s ass for literally everything else.

• The Cuuuuube@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Live chat is a good choice for friend and making urgent decisions in software. I’ve been watching projects more and more use it for their discussions, issue trackers, and Q&A solutions and it just makes me sad. Live chat isn’t good for anything that will need to be revisited in the future. But still I see more and more communities moving to live chat solutions for their whole community.

And that’s not to get into any of the problems with Discord specifically. I don’t love giving control over community hosting to any individual company. We’ve already seen the results several times. Google groups? Facebook groups? Reddit subreddits? All have demonstrated the problems with hosting your communities on a singular platform. Google groups is straight up gone. Facebook groups require you to sell a small part of your soul to participate. Reddit has been outright abusive towards their user base lately. Discord is vulnerable to all these problems

• Kecessa@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

It’s also an issue with Reddit/Lemmy though, there’s a good reason why old forums have long, in depth discussions and all alternatives don’t, people have to keep recreating discussions on subjects because they don’t get bumped to the top even if they’re popular.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Yeah, discoverability is a huge issue on Lemmy, but it’s much better on Reddit.

When I google some topic, there is a big chance that the first few results will be Reddit. Doesn’t really happen with Lemmy (yet). Hopefully they find the time and budget to work on this in the future.

• agnosticians@lemmy.blahaj.zone
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            11 months ago

I think part of that is that most forums have terrible search functionality.

Searching reddit via google is a meme for a reason.

• Kecessa@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              11 months ago

Sure, that’s an issue with all forums.

What I’m talking about is on Reddit and similar platforms unless you already replied to a discussion and someone replies to you directly you don’t know that the discussion keeps going.

On forums you see the discussion getting bumped and if you ask a question by creating a new thread and it’s already covered in an existing thread, people will refer you to it and you can continue adding to an ongoing discussion instead of the Reddit solution of being referred to a previous discussion that can’t be expanded because no one will know if you ask for more info in it.

Just look at ADVRider for example, thousands of pages of discussion on motorcycle models that haven’t been in production for over 10 years, that’s a shit load of knowledge all in the same place!

• Spzi@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Which might be seen as a positive by some people (not me).

It encourages social interaction. Every answered question becomes a valid option to ask again just a short time later. And to answer again.

It also takes the burden to search from those who have questions. Just keep the chat flowing.

Maybe it’s a bit like asking people on the street for directions, instead of using your phone. Less efficient and accurate, but you might get a smile in the process.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Or you might get a “Just use your phone, you idiot. I’ve been answering the same question all day.”

This is at least what happens a lot on these discord channels…

• JackbyDev@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Subreddits and GitHub discussions exist and don’t require accounts to view nor do they require hosting anything.

• Blackmist@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

All those reddit communities who migrated to Discord are in for a shock when they pull the exact same shit in a few years.

I use it, but it’s basically “Free Ventrilo but not as shit.” I have nothing of any value on it. It can be yoinked behind a paywall at any time.

• ninja@hoboninjachicken.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

I fucking love Discord and use it for as much communication as possible…

…but I also agree with everything you say here

• Tocano@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Now that it has threads and features for communities I think it’s pretty decent.

• variants@possumpat.io
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

The search tool works pretty well that’s usually what I use, or just check the pinned messages that links you to a GitHub or something with a FAQ