Ukrainian forces struck deeply into Russian-occupied territory between Robotyne and Verbove, Zaporizhzhia Oblast

The Ukrainian strategy using a war of attrition is increasingly paying of.

Source

• thebestaquaman@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

At first I thought they might keep going after the initial push, but more recent reports are that they slowed down again, and pulled back a lot of the armour. I wonder if we will see more of the same “intense, short push” in the coming days in an effort to force the Russians to deploy reserves to different parts of the front.

• Jaysyn@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Regrouping because the Abrams tanks are en route & need to be incorporated into battalions?

• thebestaquaman@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

To me it looks more like “hit hard -> force Russia to commit reserves -> pull back -> hit hard somewhere else -> repeat” to force Russia to constantly shuffle and exhaust its reserves. Once they don’t commit reserves, or commit insufficient reserves, just keep going and you have a breakthrough.

Of course, that’s just pure speculation, but it would be consistent with their ongoing strategy of trying to spread out and exhaust/attrit Russian forces while conserving their own forces.