Ukrainian forces struck deeply into Russian-occupied territory between Robotyne and Verbove, Zaporizhzhia Oblast

The Ukrainian strategy using a war of attrition is increasingly paying of.

Source

• JackOfAllTraits@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I think this is a real blow to the Russians. While 5 km after 3 months might not sound good, its 5 km through what has to be the largest and most complex fortification line in Europe since WW2. We are talking about defense in debth with miles of minefields, tank traps, trenches and with significant reserves.

If Ukranians keep pushing eventualy they will breach through… and then its rush to the sea.

• vlad@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Paying off.

I’m sorry I have to point it out, it’s an illness.

• thebestaquaman@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

At first I thought they might keep going after the initial push, but more recent reports are that they slowed down again, and pulled back a lot of the armour. I wonder if we will see more of the same “intense, short push” in the coming days in an effort to force the Russians to deploy reserves to different parts of the front.

• Jaysyn@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Regrouping because the Abrams tanks are en route & need to be incorporated into battalions?

• thebestaquaman@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

To me it looks more like “hit hard -> force Russia to commit reserves -> pull back -> hit hard somewhere else -> repeat” to force Russia to constantly shuffle and exhaust its reserves. Once they don’t commit reserves, or commit insufficient reserves, just keep going and you have a breakthrough.

Of course, that’s just pure speculation, but it would be consistent with their ongoing strategy of trying to spread out and exhaust/attrit Russian forces while conserving their own forces.

• Styxie@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Just based on DeepState’s layout of Russian defence lines, this looks like they’ve reached the first defence line. Hopefully this is the big breakthrough we’ve been hoping for.

• randon31415@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Should have just stayed on the defensive with the 5:1 kill count in their favor. By the time Russia got to Kiev, Russia would literally be out of men.

• FreeBooteR69@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

The problem is war is expensive, and keeping the impetus going is hard politically, especially with how tough it is economically in the west for the average person. Especially in Canada where people are one paycheck away from living on the street. Homelessness is a real danger here now, not just something that happens to somebody else, it can happen to anyone at any time here. So the pressure is on for Ukraine to make a breakthrough. Slava Ukrani! Heroyam slava!

• jrs100000@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

And elections coming up next year in the US. If the Russian stooge block in congress gets large enough it might become very difficult to continue supplying Ukrane, especially if it looks like they arnt making progress. If the presidency flips support might even start flowing the other way. Without full US pressure supporters like Germany and France are likely to go back to calling for negotiations, and the UK, Poland and Lithuania cant keep the Ukrainian army going on their own.